03. LEAVE BEFORE YOU NEED ME.

━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━

"1, 2, 3, hut!"

"faster, y/n. we don't have all day for your stamina to die so easily!"

"y/n, keep up!"

running through the mountains. horrible for you, seemingly nice for kaeya.

you can barely catch your breath, falling to the dirt as you hear a displeased sigh. kaeya's sword appears next to you, a foot pushing your body up then down. "we've done this for more than a week, y/n! i've done my best to train you, pressure you into becoming your greatest figure! yet, you can't even do this much?"

"i rest assured that when you were trained for this position," you heave, getting up despite his weight. "...that it was never this hard. you just feel pressured that i may do better in your title than you and diluc have."

"what does he have to do with any of this?" his eye flashes a certain emotion, hands flailing up in defense. "this shows that you're using any excuse to put me into a lower position."

oh, here comes the bickering again.

"i'm saying that you're already insecure. that position is what held you on your high horse, and now that it was revoked from you, you decide to piss people off about it!" you rebuke, crossing your arms. "be in my shoes for a day, kaeya. it was hard trying to fit in here. it was hard getting along with everyone at first, even as a mondstadt citizen myself. i had to step out of my comfort zone to apply for this. i had to get past eula, past lisa's judgment! yet, you still decide to hate me?"

"if you had such a hard time fitting in," he starts, pointing his finger at you. "then why don't you just leave and return to that state?"

his words strike you speechless, ending the argument on a harsh note. it's only seconds later that he realizes the damage that hit you, his eye-widening as he reaches out. "wait, y/n. i didn't mean for it to be that harsh, i reassure you-"

"no, you're right," you strike your sword into the dirt next to him, glaring at him. he winces, almost as if he feared this side of you. "i should leave- leave before you need me to leave."

you feel your throat clog, unable to speak as you hold back the threatening tears. you walk away, down the path back to mondstadt to resign from your position. you never thought you'd submit to that feeling, but after all the pain you've gone through, you decided it wasn't worth it. you were sore until you couldn't move, bruised from all the hard labor. it wasn't going to be you to handle him.

however, a hand grabs your forearm, stopping you from going forward. you already know who it is, but you can't face him. you'd let out the tears you're desperately trying to stop.

"i'm sorry, y/n," his apology was sudden, taking you aback. it was all he had to say, until you can feel both hands slide down your forearm to your hand.

"i'm really sorry."