4. be yourself

"Has anyone noticed that Camilo's been acting," Mirabel paused, searching for the right word in case she accidentally offended somebody

"Weird?" Isabela, Pepa, Felix, and Luisa filled in.

"Yeah," Mirabel nodded, "Weird. Dolores, did you hear anything?"

"I remember Camilo saying he was going on a 'date' with Y/N, which turned out to be a friendly hangout. But, she snuck into the house last night and then he took her to the town square and asked her to be his date to the firework festival. Unfortunely, she misunderstood and friend-zoned him, and I swear I heard his heart crack." Dolores gulped down the rest of her water before resuming, "And, right now, Camilo is practising what he's going to say to Y/N's parents when he picks her up."

"He's so strange." Isabela muttered, "He barely knows her and yet she already has him wrapped around her finger."

"Perhaps it's just a small attraction," Luisa piped up, "He sees her as a potential date."

"He hardly takes an interest in anyone, so this will do him some good," Pepa muttered.

"Okay, family! If you see me and Y/N at the market, pretend you don't know me!" Speaking of the devil, Camilo came waltzing down the stairs, arms spread, "This is my only chance to show Y/N can trust me, so I don't want it ruined! Now, how do I look?"

"Ugly."

"The same."

"You wear that outfit every day."

"Boo, pick a fashion sense."

Camilo sent his family a deadpan look before shaking his head.

"I look great, and my opinion matters most. Anyway, I'm off. I've got a date with my lovely Y/N." The boy hummed as he skipped out of the house, ignoring his family's stares.

"Oh, he's got it bad," Isabela murmured, "Real bad."

There was no way to deny it. Camilo Madrigal had found an interest in the socially awkward yet charming Y/N.

"Hello? Is anybody home?" Camilo knocked on the door of the L/N household, secretly hoping Y/N would be the one to greet him. And, his wish came true when her face was the first thing he saw. "Hola (hello), mi amor! Good to see you again!" He engulfed her in a friendly hug, an action she wasn't expecting. But then she remembered that affection was part of Camilo's little experiment. So, she went along with it.

"Camilo, how packed is the market?" Y/N asked, trembling.

"I haven't gotten a chance to check. Again, if it's too crowded, we can turn back; I don't mind."