014┆chapter fourteen

CHASING CARS

CHASING CARS

fourteen.       five more minutes

▬▬ PAUL SMILED AS CASSIE held Claire to her chest, swaying as she sang to get the girl to sleep. It was past her bedtime and Cassie was hoping to have her in bed before Sam and Emily got home so they could relax for the rest of the night. She had been holding the girl for almost thirty minutes, walking around the house as she hummed or sang, depending on the song and if she remembered all the lyrics.

And Paul? He just liked watching her and listening to her voice, he even let his head fall back against the couch as a smile pulled at his lips.

Then she smiled. "She's asleep." Her voice soft, just above a whisper. "I'm gonna take up stairs." He sat up as she turned, carefully carrying the sleeping girl up the stairs and to the guest room. After she laid her down and tucked her in, she made her way back down to the living room. Paul sat on the couch, his eyes on the stairs as if he had been waiting just to watch her come down them. "Thanks for coming over." She smiled as she sat next to him, laying her head against the back of the couch as she closed her eyes. 

"I wanted to hang out with you." He told her, his eyes never leaving her as a smile pulled at her lips and she moved her hand in search of his. When she found it she wedged her fingers between his. "And Claire's a cool kid." 

She laughed. "She is." She agreed as she picked her head up and turned to face him, their hands still laced together. "But still, I know we had other plans and you didn't have to."

"I wanted to." He told her, lightly squeezing her hand in his. "Because even if Claire hogs you, it's better then not seeing you at all." She smiled at him, her cheeks flushed as they locked eyes ― deep honey eyes on chocolate eyes.

"You're sweet." She mumbled, her voice quiet. 

"I try." He nodded and she let out a laugh before clapping her hand over her lips, she didn't want to wake Claire up. "What? I do." He told and she buried her face in the cushion to cover her laugh, even he couldn't help but join her, her laugh was so infectious. "So . . ." He started as they sobered up but she still wore a smile. "How'd your talk go with Jacob?"