WHEN WE WERE YOUNG

Ten Years Ago

"Serenity, would you quit running around? You're raising a ruckus."

I halted in my tracks, freezing upon hearing the roar of my father's voice. The smile dropped from my face after seeing the harsh glare plastered on his face. I nervously fiddled with my fingers, diverting my gaze down to the ground as I mumbled, "Sorry, father. It won't happen again."

"Oh, honey! I spent hundreds on this dress, and you've already gotten it dirty," my mother tsked, coming up from behind me to try and pat the dirt off my baby pink dress.

"Sorry, mother," I muttered defeatedly, feeling as though all I ever do is disappoint my parents.

The two friends with whom I was having a play date came bursting into the castle from the back door, filling the quiet room with echoes of giggles. The laughter ceased once my parents shot them deadly looks.

"Maid!" my father yelled. "Get these girls cleaned up, please. I don't want them getting dirt all over the castle."

Just as our maid, Angela, stepped into the main foyer where we all stood, there was a knock on our front door. My father rolled his eyes, begrudgingly walking over to see who could possibly have the nerve to bother us on this peaceful Sunday afternoon.

"Fresh produce delivery!" someone joyously cheered the moment my father opened the door.

"Ugh, it's just the farmer," my father groaned, stepping away from the door. "Butler, please take care of this."

Without even greeting the strangers standing at our doorstep, my father spun around and walked up the marble staircase. 

"Come on, girls," Angela beckoned me and my friends. "It's time to get you cleaned up."

As she was lightly tugging on my arm, I saw a boy around my age helping the butler bring all the fresh fruits and vegetables from the carriage into our kitchen.

I have never seen someone my age be forced to work, especially a job as strenuous as this. Kids should be rolling around in the dirt, screaming at the top of their lungs, or playing with their imaginary friends.

I felt bad and almost wanted to ask if he would like to join my friends and I on our play date. But before I was able to, Angela dragged us out of the foyer and into the nearest bathroom.

༻❁༺

Five Years Ago

"Wow, that smells amazing!" I cheered, jutting out my chin and scrunching up my nose to try and get a bigger sniff of the flavorful Italian Wedding soup that one of our chefs, Mary, was cooking.

"One day, I'll teach you how to make it," she grinned, turning off the stove and giving the soup a few more stirs.

"Why can't you teach me how to make it now?" I pouted, sticking out my lower lip.

She looked me up and down before laughing, "Charming. That puppy dog look may work on Angela, but not me."

"Pleaseee," I continued to plead.

"Cooking can be dangerous for young girls like you!" she poked my belly, causing me to let out a string of giggles. "I don't want you catching your skirt on fire or spilling hot soup on yourself."

I humphed, crossing my arms over my chest, "Fine."

Mary ruffled my hair, giving my forehead a light peck before returning to her soup. I stood on my tiptoes, trying to get a better look at the masterpiece she had just concocted.