Chapter 1

A/N: yes, it's true, I'm alive. it's been a solid six months since I've written on Wattpad lol but I finally found some time work on this story! I can't guarantee that regular updates will be back butttt I hope you all are doing well and I hope you like this chapter <3

***

Draco Malfoy

"Alright, honey. I'm off to the castle!"

I scrunched my brows, blinking rapidly to make sure I heard that right. I jumped off my bed and ran down the staircase to see my father making his way out the door after giving my mother a kiss goodbye.

"W-Wait, where are you going?"

"To the castle, son," my father sighed, lifting a heavy crate of bananas up onto the carriage as I followed him outside.

"But we usually deliver the produce on Sundays. Today's Saturday."

"Good observation, Draco," my father chuckled, continuing to load the rest of the crates onto the carriage as he continued our conversation. "The Young family is hosting a gathering tomorrow evening, and they're having dozens of guests over. They need their food to be delivered a bit earlier than usual."

"Oh..." I nodded in understanding. "Well, do you need a hand?"

"That desperate to spend some time with your old man, aren't you?" my father laughed. "Alright, hop on!"

I suppressed a smile as I took a seat next to my father. The horse leading our carriage soon went on its way, and the pitter patter of its hooves hitting the ground filled my ears.

I unconsciously fiddled with my hair, brushing it to the side and back. I bounced my knee and anxiously nibbled on my lip as we made our way through the neighboring village.

"You alright there, son? You're shaking up a storm."

I blinked out of my trance, turning to look at my father who was eyeing me with concern, "Oh, y-yeah I'm alright." I laughed it off, "Just a little chilly is all."

My father shrugged it off, waving and smiling at the pedestrians we passed by.

About twenty minutes passed before we finally reached the gates of the castle. I brushed down my soiled jacket, embarrassed that after all these years of serving the royal family, my own family still didn't have enough money to buy new clothes. 

We could only afford the bare minimum that was necessary to survive.

"Oliver!" my father cheered, greeting their butler. "It's great to see you, mate!"

I politely nodded at Oliver before jumping off of the carriage. My eyes scanned the entrance of the castle to see if anyone else was here to greet us, but to my dismay, it was only Oliver.

I lifted a crate of vegetables off the carriage and marched up the steps of the castle.

"You've grown into a fine, young man, Draco," Oliver patted my back as I walked past him.

"Thank you, sir," I grinned, slightly bowing my head.

"Ah yes," my father sighed. "He's quite popular with ladies nowadays."

I nearly choked on my spit, "Dad!"

I left my father and Oliver behind as they continued to joke around. I eventually stepped into the castle, glancing around the foyer in hopes of seeing a familiar face.

As I made my way down the all-too familiar corridors that I've been walking for the past decade, I subtly glanced into all the rooms I'd pass by. It became such a habit over the years that, most of the time, I didn't even do it consciously.