Prologue

Prologue 00: Audacity

"He was once like my wind, gentle as he touched me dusk 'till dawn—"

Hindi na natuloy nang anak ng Mayor ang kanyang sasabihin dahil sa kanyang paghikbi. She's speaking as if she's declaring her heartfelt poem in front of well-known people. While I was just here watching with her fake tears falling endlessly onto her cheeks and suddenly rolled my eyes.

Paran tubig lang na pinatak sa mata para tuluyan siyang maiyak.

He's not dead. Tinatago siya ng pamilya niyo.

"Pasensya na sa aking anak. Higit lamang talaga siyang nagdadalamhati dahil sa pagkawala ng kanyang nobyo at mapapangasawa na rin sana," ani ng kanyang ina, si Madam Clarita Austria, ang asawa ng Mayor.

The Austrias, they're taking advantage of the people's sympathy here in Saeville. They're fooling us—them to make themselves innocent and away from the compensations of the crimes they committed. I should've known that I really look stupid and dumb before when I have no clues of the foolish things they've done.

The one who's talking right now, Sienna Austria. Blessed with beauty and the most respected person here when in fact she's just disguising as a sweet angel. Kanina pa ako ditong nakikinig sa mga pinagsasabi niya ngunit sa loob-loob ko ay nagbabaga ako.

Tumuwid ako ng pagkaka-upo at binulungan ang pinsan kong si Lauren na umalis na. I insisted on pulling her arms and to also stop her from eating the porridge that the Austrias' served.

Nang makalayo-layo kami ay tinanggal ko na ang maigsing wig na suot ko at sumbrero. I even pulled my mask that almost suffocates me so bad.

"Ang sarap nung lugaw nila!" papuri ni Lauren habang tinatanggal na rin ang wig na suot at sumbrero. We stayed there for an hour yet that was the only thing she noticed while I was busy reviewing the Austrias.

"Kanina pang nag-tetext sina Mama. Hinahanap na pala tayo kaya hinila na kita," saad ko habang isinusuksok ang wig at sumbrero na ginamit namin kanina sa isang eco bag. I also removed the black jacket that I wore.

"Oh? Saan ba kayo nag-su-suot? Ininit ko na ang sabaw kaya kumain na tayo."

My mother greeted us as she opened the 'almost-broken' door of our house. I even noticed the hinge of our door. It creaks every time we open it since it's already rusty and has stayed for us over the years.

Kakaupo ko pa lamang upang kumain ay agad ng bumuhos ang nang-gagalaiting ulan mula sa langit. In a swift move, I took three of our pales inside the bathroom and place them to catch the droplets inserting in the holes of our roof.

The rain gets wilder and the wind tries to get into our roofs. This storm will surely never let go of us for hours yet it will leave damages. Our house is already used to it. Left and scarred. But no compensation is returned for all the wounds caused by those mishaps. Too cruel, huh?