Chapter 1

Mabel POV •

The morning sun greeted my vision as I awoke. I looked around my petite bedroom. Everywhere you look, a heart will catch your eye. A huge red heart on the wall, small pink hearts on the desk, it was everywhere. Hearts brought me a sense of comfort, it felt  loving.

As I began preparing for class, I heard my mom call me.
"Mabel, please come downstairs for breakfast ! "
"Coming Ma ", I replied.

I made my way downstairs with energetic footsteps.
"Good morning Ma ,"
She replied with a solemn nod .
I gobbled my breakfast in quick actions and made my way to school.

I excitedly entered my classroom, where no one was phased by my overwhelming excitement. I made my way to my seat and waited for the class to begin. The teacher had entered and began teaching. As always the class got boring so I brought out my beloved sketchbook.

I flipped through all my drawings containing hearts of all shapes . Small, big, wide, short, tall, wiggly, straight, all kinds. I reached a clean page as I began my drawing.

I gave the heart  two very round tops with a pointed bottom. Inside it was filled with many aligning hearts, noticeably getting smaller and smaller. Surrounding the one huge heart were some butterflies and clouds in the shape of hearts.

I coloured it with bright shades of yellow, green, and blue. This was just one of my everlasting drawings.

I turned to my seatmate, asking for a light shade of blue.
"Hey, do you have a light shade of blue I could borrow ", I whispered.
His expression was hard to make out and questionable. His eyes bore into mine cluelessly. " Do you not have it? ", I managed to ask .

It was as if he had broken out of a trance. "Uh yeah  here," he hurriedly scrambled through his belongings, searching for a specific color pencil . Once he found what he was searching for, he passed it to me.

I stared dumbfoundedly at the red color pencil that rested on my palm.
"Sorry but I asked for a  blue pencil ," I quietly remarked.
"Yeah and I gave it to you," he replied.

I sighed as I accepted he might be colourblind and continued my drawing.