day five, pennsylvania

"now that we've done all that, we should just lay low and do nothing today, especially since tomorrow is a big day." sam said pulling off the main road into a backroad. jolyne nodded, closing her eyes once again as soon as they crossed the boarder into pennsylvania. sam smiled and tapped his fingers along with the sound of the music playing in the car.

soon, they were upon a long stretch of farmland and jolyne was now just stirring back awake. it had been almost an hour since she had been awake last and she was now confused how they went from total civilization to absolutely nothing, but she guesses that was the glory of rural ohio into pennsylvania.

jolyne examined the acres of farm outside her window. it seemed like the corn could go on forever, until it didn't. they reached a meadow now, the grass had almost been covered with flowers, except the walking paths and the center of the meadow. nobody seemed to be around, they were there at such an odd hour that she had assumed that people were busy with their own lives to take a break and go to a meadow, she knew just under a week ago she was in the same boat as they were.

"i have sandwiches and apple juice packed in the back, lemme grab them and we can start walking out there." the pair climbed out out the car and into the vast meadow. upon reaching the middle sitting area, sam had put down a large blanket for them to sit on. jolyne spread out the snacks they had brought and sat down.

it was a warm day, the sun beating down on the two. the meadow was vast and beautiful, colorful flowers spread across the land. she looked out amongst the flowers, examining the bees landing on flowers. the pollen smell was strong and jolyne could feel her nose start to stuff up. she cursed her allergies, she knew that she would pay for this later.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"sam! come on, we're late going to the family dinner!" karen yelled up the stairs to sam, who was still in his room getting ready. he combed his hair one last time before running down the stairs and picking up the flowers he had picked out for jolyne and her mother.

"i'm here, i'm here. no need to pop a blood vessel." sam snickered, earning a glare from karen and kelly. they wasted no time walking out to the car and driving over to jolyne's family home, which wasn't too far from the kiszka house. the five soon walked up to the door and rang the doorbell.

"what have i said, karen? my home is your home, no need to ring the doorbell. you can just walk in!" lols exclaimed as the door swung open, the pair laughed before the kiszka's piled into the front door.

"these are for you and jolyne." sam handed off the flowers to lola, soon receiving them back from lola.

"why don't you go give them to jolyne, she's in the kitchen." she smiled and pointed down the hall to where the kitchen was, something sam had already known all too well. at this point, they were ready to graduate high school and sam had been wandering right into their kitchen the whole almost thirteen years he had known jolyne and her family.

walking aimlessly down the hall, he made it to the kitchen where sure enough, jolyne was. her head slightly lifted up to see sam entering the room with a whole bouquet of flowers. she smiled at him, standing up from her seat and walking over to him.

"awe, sam! they're beau- ACHOO." just as she went to grab the flowers from him, her nose filled with the smell of pollen, making her sneeze...multiple times. sam belly laughed, pulling the flowers away from jolyne and turning towards the doorframe, seeing lola, karen, kelly, and the twins smiling at the pair.