Chapter 3- The Cages

I laid there and thought for a long time, so much that I fell asleep for a little while, I awoke to rustling from a nearby cage and sat up to see what it was about. **CLUNK CLUNK, CLUNK CLUNK*** Boots. Heavy ones. I can barely see him emerge from the corridor and stop to look at us. He takes his time looking and analyzing our faces and everything about us as well as our cages, being sure that nothing is broken or out of place. He stands for a few more minutes and turns to go back upstairs. "HEY!!! LET US OUT OF HERE!! YOU CAN'T KEEP UP LOCKED IN HERE FOREVER, PEOPLE WILL LOOK FOR US!!" I knew I messed up as soon as the last word slipped off my tongue. He stopped and slowly turned to look at me and ever so slightly, walked over to my cage, and stood in front of the door just staring at me. I stood up and looked at him in his eyes through the mask he was wearing, while blood was dripping down my cheek and onto my neck, I stared back at him with the worst face I could make. He looked at me and I could tell a smile appeared on his face from the way his eyes scrunched together. " I like you, I made the right choice this time girls" I wasn't expecting that at all. My head turned around as if I wasn't the one controlling it and looked over at the other girls and they were sitting on their beds cross-legged, looking down. I snapped my head back to him, "You won't get away with this." He was taller than me, even in a cage off the ground. He bent down to be eye level and it looked like he smiled even bigger " I already have, All of you are mine, Welcome home girls' ' With that, he turned and walked back up the corridor. After I heard the deadbolt slide, I dropped to the floor and leaned my back up against the wall. I sat there for another hour maybe, mad because they didn't help me defend myself against him. I was trying to defend them too, but they just stayed quiet. Maybe they've been here too long. "What does he do to you guys?" I looked up and expected them to answer, they can at least fill me in on everything. Hailey looks up at me with a plain, pale face, "Whatever he wants, he has his fantasies and he chooses one of us who he thinks would be the best to fulfill that fantasy, sometimes he comes down here to sit with us, or he'll read to us on good days that we behave" I stand up and start to look around the cage, " How often does that happen? That he comes down here?" I didn't expect to hear Morgan answer, " Usually every day or night, if it's been a bad day, then it's worse for whoever he picks that night" I stop to look at her, " Oh, I'm so sorry guys" They just hang their head or find something to do in their rooms. I start to look around more, There's a twin bed with a black bedspread and platform bedspring, probably so nobody stabs him with the springs, so he's smart. Great. The sheets are silk and 2 pillows at the top of the bed like he wants to make sure they are comfortable. I turn my head to the right and there's a desk with what looks like a pencil holder on top, I walk over and open the drawers only to find nothing. That's a dead-end, although next to the desk was a huge chest. I bend down to open it and find that it's unlocked. I carefully lift open the top, not knowing what to expect, and it's just empty. There's nothing in the room I'm in, I stand up and look at Hailey's cage and there are all kinds of stuff in hers. " Hailey, how do you have so much stuff? Did he let you bring things with you or go get things?" She looked up from what she was doing and came over to my side of the cage so that the only thing that was between us was the glass wall. " After you show him that he can trust you not to hurt him or yourself, then he starts to give you little things, and the more compliant you are with him and do the things he asks of you, then you can start to request things that you want. Until then he gives you the things he thinks you need." That's fucking crazy. Like he's training us to be dogs or something fucking stupid. I just turn away and walk to the bathroom area. It takes up quite a bit of the cage, I'd say about 1/2 of the space inside it. It had one of those little showers you would see in like a camper or something, with a little toilet beside it. I look up to notice there are little shelves on the shower walls to hold shampoos and shit like that. This is disgusting. I turn to leave but something catches my eye, I can't see the other side of the glass, and the girls can't see me either. Like he wanted us to still have privacy. There's toilet paper and that's it." How does he afford and clean all of this?" Hailey looks up at me, almost looking annoyed at how many questions I'm asking, and points up. I follow her finger up to the lights where there's a small sprinkler-looking thing. " Once a week he lets out a gas from that sprinkler and puts us to sleep for a little while, so we don't escape, and he washes the sheets and any clothes we have and takes the trash out, so it's like new when we wake up". I wonder if I pretended that I was asleep if I could get out, maybe cover my mouth with a part of the sheet until the gas goes off or something. ****BOOOOM*** I damn nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw him appear. He has totes with him, three of them. Out of the corner of my eyes, I see the girls shift and stand by the door. He started with Morgan and waits for her to back up a little from the door and he opens the door and slides the tote through. She waits to move till he nods at her and she calmly takes the tote and sits on her bed. He moved to Hailey next, and she did the same thing. I tell myself that I have a choice here, I can either risk-taking whatever is in the tote by following orders, or I can try and run when he opens the door, or even possibly hurt him so that I have a fair chance at an escape. As he gets to my cage he looks at me with wandering eyes through the mask, waiting for me to do what the other girls did, waiting for me to follow in line, I look over at the both of them and they both shake their heads at me as if knowing what I was thinking, trying to tell me not to do something stupid to get us hurt or even worse. What would someone do in this situation? I guess there is only one thing to do. *Sighs* Here I go.