CHAPTER 5- Cruel world

Haya stared at the man sitting in front of her, wanting to dunk his dopey head in the soup bowl the waitress had served them a minute earlier. She once again wondered how she had ended up here, at the Riot café and diner with a roguishly handsome man who was more interested in the soup and bread than hearing her talk, of all places. On a Saturday afternoon.

It wasn't completely her fault, at least that's what she thought. She had returned home from the orphanage on Thursday and had called the Vision Inc. And after a lot of pleading with his security, Haya had managed to secure a meeting with the head. They both agreed to meet at a local café and Haya had made sure to arrive ten minutes earlier.

She had imagined Arijit to be a bald guy with a pot belly and smelling of gutka. But she was proved wrong when he had walked in a blue suit, he had told her he'd be wearing that, his head held high and a swagger in his stride. He was maybe thirty something and had a easy-on-the-eyes look about him and had made himself comfortable upon arriving.

Haya had wanted to jump straight into the topic, but it was apparent that Arijit didn't have the same idea when he ordered a full course meal and had asked Haya quite a lot of questions about herself and dodging her attempts on conversation including the orphanage.

Which brings us back to the present.

"So," Arijit sighed, a hint of resignation I his voice. "How are you related to the orphanage? Are you the caretaker, governess, what are you?"

"I already told you that I am a teacher at St.Suzanne, Sir. I am neither the caretaker nor am I their teacher." Haya gritted as respectfully as she could and took a sip of her tea. What did it matter who she was to the orphanage?

The man shook his head resignedly and too a bite out of his sandwich. Looking at Haya with his deep blue gaze he said. "Then why do you care so much about those children? Whether they live here or on the other side of the world?"

"Because I am their hope. Their support. Those children have never been loved but they all wear their hearts on sleeves. They think the world is full of sunshine and rainbows, even after all that they've been through. But both you and I know its not, Sir. It's a cruel, cruel place that has no place or patience or love for them. All these children have is the orphanage. And you taking it away means taking away their only safe space, their home. And why? Because it looks drab? Because it will make the 'posh neighborhood' of your dreams look drab? What use will that posh neighborhood be when you're standing in front of your lord on the day of judgement? What answer will you give him when he asks you about the orphans you rendered homeless? Do you even have an answer? A reason?"

The speech left Haya breathless at the end and she internally admitted that she went a little over board with the judgement day thingy. But she felt proud when she saw Arijit's astonished face, his eyes wide and his food forgotten.

He cleared his throat before speaking. "I'm sorry Miss Ahmed." His tone was gentler than before, his eyes glazed a little, but when he spoke, his tone was of finality, leaving no room for either argument or further persuasion. "I really am. But there is nothing I can do to help you. The orphanage will be demolished in twenty four days. I can be of no help to you in this matter. I am not the only one on board with this, the decision came from the members of the board and the neighborhood agreed. And those children won't be homeless, of course. The orphanage in the next town has agreed to take them in and they will be well cared for."

Haya saw red before her eyes. She didn't get annoyed or angry or irritated easily especially with someone she's only met once. But as she let Arijit's word sink in, anger coursed through her veins mixed with fear and helplessness. She had prayed hard all night, last night, hoping the outcome would be positive. She had tried so hard for the past hour to convince him, for what? For it to end this way? The man had no idea what it was like to be unloved, forgotten, not accepted by the society. He probably would fake sympathy to get out of here, he would go home to his wife and happy children. But what about those children who had no one to wait for by the threshold of the door? No mother to pamper them when they scrap their knees. No father to run to and demand their attention.

No, Arijit did not understand this.

Haya knew the conversation had ended when he nodded for the waitress to bring their bill. She decided right then that if this is the end of their meeting, then she might as well go with a bang. She got up and started clapping her hands in slow motion. Then in the iciest tone she could muster, she snapped. "I thought this meeting would prove me wrong that not all of you are heartless monsters. But I was right, wasn't I, Mr. Arijit? Tell me, do you really feel the sympathy you're faking in your eyes? And do you think I don't know what it means when you say the kids will be moving in the town over? I may look naïve and stupid but I assure you that I am neither. I know your word are only for reassurance. I know that there they make children labor at night and beg on the streets by daylight. I know you know it. You may be helpless, Mr. Arijit, but I am not. And I wont beg anymore of you or your precious time, but believe me when I say that I won't let the orphanage be broken just to be built again on the ruins of those children's dreams and hopes. I won't, and that's a promise."

She didn't turn around to see his expression and walked out, her head held high, determination set on her chin. Haya held her ground, even as a lone tear escaped and crashed on the ground, just like the little bit of hope she had held on to.

 Haya held her ground, even as a lone tear escaped and crashed on the ground, just like the little bit of hope she had held on to