Foreword

Trigger warnings at the end of this chapter, for those who wish to skip potential spoilers.

   Hello, dear reader.

   Thank you for finding this story; thank you for reading this story. Every single read makes the countless hours poured into this worth it—a year and a half of waiting for something to strike. So thank you.

   Because all of these are written as shorts, this is a bit of a weird story. I want you to just trust me, when things get a bit weird, because they will. I took some creative liberties, and the writing is in some cases quite different from what I usually do—I hope you don't find it as jarring as I did. 

   I hope you will enjoy this. I hope it will bring something to you, whether that be a lingering thought, a stray tear, or just a good time. Thank you, once again.

   Lastly, this is dedicated to two people who will never read these words: you keep teaching me about grief, about being a child stuck and unable to move forward. This is my amendment to that. It is my way of processing some of it, albeit differently than either of us had hoped. I wish you both well, hoping we will one day meet once more.

   And to the one who said it felt like a story that needed to be written. 

***

   Trigger warnings: death, indirect talk/mention of suicide (nothing explicit), alcohol, brief mention of drug use.