Oh man, you cut me to size (ow)

They did not end up talking about it. Licorice scribbles into his worn journal, hand cramping at the speed in which he pens down his erratic thoughts. It's been a week since the kiss, and still he hasn't been able to speak with Red Velvet, nor has he been able to get him out of his mind. Licorice would go over to sort things out, but Pomegranate seems to insist on him staying away from the factory.

He slams his diary down on his desk. Bat-Cat startles, hissing before once again shutting their eyes. Licorice absolutely loathes Pomegranate, especially now that she's in the way of something more than spells and necromancy. His grey hands (ones that are bony and cold and completely disgusting) shake as he reaches for his skulls.

He needs to do something productive, he has to make anything out of the time he has. Licorice hasn't progressed at all this week, his mind being dragged elsewhere. He glances over his desk, and realizes that he doesn't have his thick books. He knows he's stupid enough to need them, but as always, he forgot them elsewhere in the castle.

Licorice would go to Red Velvet when he starts to spiral like this, however he knows likely he ruined that. Red Velvet was probably going to ask for something else, he knows how unlovable he is. He probably kissed back out of pity! He's seen how Licorice can get, how he clings desperately to any scrap of positive attention he can manage to get, so obviously he would pity him. Even if he likes Licorice back, what has Licorice done to deserve it?

He clutches the edge of the table, he can't break down yet. Licorice would think that the walls would be thicker, but instead they are terribly thin, thin enough that someone would definitely be able to hear him sob. He would know, it's happened before.

He needs to find his books. That would help him. Licorice takes a moment to swallow a thick gulp of air, almost immediately choking on it. He takes another moment to regain his ability to breath.

As he walks out of his room, he thinks about the current state his relationship with Red Velvet. Licorice needs to be rational about this, and maybe some fresh air will allow him to clear his head.

Maybe- maybe Red Velvet really did like him back? Maybe Licorice is wrong, and maybe something about him is at least a little bit like able. It's a stretch, but Licorice can almost believe himself. That would be nice.

"Licorice? You look saaad." Poison Mushroom says. Licorice jumps, turning around quickly. "Shroomie?" Poison Mushroom shoves a purple mushroom into Licorice's hand. "It will help you feeel better." They say slowly.

"I'm fine!" Licorice snaps, reminding him of that one night where Red Velvet tried to comfort him. Poison Mushroom steps back, their face falling. "Yeah, I guess I'll take the mushroom."

Poison Mushroom beams, almost hiding the dark bruises under their purple eyes. Licorice realizes that while he was having his pity party, he was unknowingly ignoring Poison Mushroom. "You should go sleep. It's pretty late." He says, hoping that it's enough for now. Poison Mushroom nods, thankfully, and heads towards their bedroom.

Licorice continues to walking through the halls as he searches for his books. It's a little bit hypocritical of him to send Poison Mushroom to sleep when he knows he's not going get rest anytime soon, but he knows that Poison Mushroom is better than him, and deserves it more than he does. Besides, it's not as if any one will care.

He reaches the kitchens and opens the door as quietly as he can. It's usually empty, and it's not very different today. Licorice enjoys the silence of the kitchen, even if he's not the best at cooking. Sure enough, his books are strewn across a stained table. Written into the surface are almost illegible words.

He quickly grabs a bag of something he can't be bothered to check, and sits in his chair. He remembers working on some project here before the whole deal with Red Velvet. He might as well continue working on it now.

He glances over his notes, skimming over the messy words. Licorice's mind seemed to miss the point, and it continues to wander over to Red Velvet. His long mane of red-black hair, his flashing, mismatched blue eyes and how he looked at Licorice while they kissed.

Red Velvet looked at him as if Licorice had handed him Earthbread, and probably more. His heart flutters stupidly, almost rising up to his throat. Now that he is feeling little bit more calm, he decides to seek out Red Velvet as soon as he can. Even if his feelings are reciprocated, Licorice can at least try to mend their friendship.

With that, he is able to begin with his work, chewing on his pen as he thinks on how to make his necromancy more powerful. The hours blur together, as he scrawls down solutions and thoughts down onto paper. It's only interrupted when he bites too hard, and he starts coughing on bitter ink.

Licorice makes a beeline towards the sink, spitting out the ink and quickly rinsing out his mouth. Then, at the absolutely worst moment possible, the door swings open. At first he believes it's Red Velvet, but judging by the haughty scoff, it's Pomegranate.

Licorice hurries to wipe his mouth as Pomegranate watches. "Well? Why exactly are you here Pomegranate?" He says as his eyes trail off to what she is holding in her hands. It's Dark Enchantresses' glove.

"Nothing that involves you, Licorice." She responds condescendingly, though it could probably be more intimidating if she hadn't hidden the glove behind her back. Licorice narrows his eyes, suspicious of Pomegranate's intentions.

"And why are you holding Dark Enchantress's glove?" Licorice retorts. Pomegranate's eyes widen a minuscule fraction as her face turns red. "What, do you have some secret shrine or something?" He attempts to joke, trying to plan how to get his books and leave.

"How did you know!" Pomegranate seethes. "I kept that well hidden." Licorice splutters and starts cackling, bending over in laughter. "Answer me, you complete halfwit!" She yells, raising her mirror.

He snickers as he answers,"I- I guessed! You were the one who told me!" Pomegranate strides out of the kitchen, her hand clutching the glove tightly. After a quick second of standing in amused disbelief, he begins to collect his things. He has a new area to explore soon, and he needs to prepare.

A quick knock on the door draws his attention away from his books. "Licorice? Can we talk?" Red Velvet asks.

A/N I don't think these count as connected one-shots yet. I will probably be writing more bc of christmas break i think. also characteriztion is still hard. Anyways pomegranate has a shrine of dark enchantress bc i said so. i can't believe i used to read lukas x jesse mcsm fics four years ago. time flies quickly 😰