30. haven't you heard what becomes of curious minds?

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

chapter thirty

chapter thirty. ☄︎. *. ⋆

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

AS FAR AS I KNEW, Percy didn't tell Annabeth what he saw when he chased me down.

When I'd calmed down well enough, Percy willed the currents to push us back to the ship. He didn't let go of me until we were back on the deck and I had a blanket wrapped around myself. I was shivering and cold, but most of all, gods, I was embarrassed. My least favorite campmate had seen me at my lowest. Not only did Percy witness my sobs and cries, but he held me while they racked my body with shudders. If it had been anyone else, it could have been perceived as a touching moment, but it was between me and Percy so it was just flat-out awkward.

     Anyways, we arrived at the Polyphemus the Cyclops's island soon after the incident with the Sirens. Now, I'll tell you the truth here: I was in no mental shape to face this monster. I'd just almost drowned myself over a stupid song. Not to mention the physical toll fighting Percy had taken on me; my arms felt like lead and my legs were burning with exhaustion when I climbed the ladder to the deck. There was no doubt in my mind that Polyphemus could take me out with a flick of his hand.

But the Fleece helped. The moment we were in range of its power, I felt strength return to my limbs. I was still mentally scarred, but my corporal health was much better within moments.

In the meadow at the base of the island's ravine, several dozen sheep milled around. They looked peaceful enough, but they were huge—probably the size of hippos. With a start, I recognized them from my first dream about Grover. At the top of the hill was the tree I had seen Grover at; sure enough, shimmering in its branches was the Golden Fleece.

"This is too easy," Percy said, and I had to agree with him. "We just walk right up there and take it?"

"There's supposed to be a guardian," Annabeth said. She narrowed her eyes. "A dragon, or som—"

She faltered. A deer pranced out of the bushes. It trotted into the meadow, probably looking for grass to eat, when the sheep all bleated at once and rushed the doe. Grass and tufts of fur flew in the air. A moment later, the sheep dispersed, leaving a pile of clean white bones where the deer had been.

Annabeth, Percy and I gaped at it. I swallowed and said, "Now I get why Grover's vegan."

     "They're like piranhas," Annabeth said.

     "Piranhas with wool," Percy agreed. "How do we—"

     "Hold it," I said. "We're not the only ones who made it here." I nodded to the beach beyond the sheep meadow, where a small boat had been run aground. It was the other lifeboat from the CSS Birmingham.