Chapter Two

Queens, New York - 1981

"I don't know about this.", Mary said as she stood outside the apartment of the Parkers.

"It's just my brother and his wife.", Richard reassured his girlfriend. "They'll love you."

"You promise?"

"Don't I always keep my promises?"

"To me, yes." Mary smiled. "To everyone else, no."

"Good thing you aren't like everyone else." Richard kissed Mary's hand. Mary smiled and Richard took his other hand and brought it towards the door. "Ready?"

Mary nodded, trying to ignore the nerves in her chest. Richard knocked on the door. Quickly, a man only a couple years older than Richard opened the door. From Mary's view past the man, she could see smoke coming from the kitchen.

"Richie!", the man, Ben Parker, exclaimed. Ben embraced his brother in a tight hug. "How have you been?"

"I've been good.", Richard replied, grimacing at the nickname. "You?"

"Great, except for May's cooking." Ben turned towards Mary. "And you must be Mary." Ben extended a hand towards Mary. "So nice to finally meet you."

"Nice to meet you too.", Mary replied while shaking Ben's hand.

"Well, come in."

Mary and Richard walked in through the door. Richard and Mary both hung up their coats. Mary could now see a woman with long hair, attempting to salvage something in the kitchen.

"Is everything alright in there?", Mary asked worriedly

"Don't worry.", Richard replied. "That's just May's process."

"After the food is chard beyond recognition, we will order Thai.", Ben added. Ben looked back towards Mary. "You like Thai?"

"I love it.", Mary replied.

"Well then!", exclaimed May Parker from the kitchen. She came towards the group, waving a rag in front of her face. "I think I messed up the food, a little bit." May looked apologetically at Ben. "Sorry."

"I'll order the Thai.", Ben said. He walked over and kissed May on the cheek. "Nothing to be sorry for. I enjoy your chard cooking."

"Yeah yeah." Ben walked over to the phone and May smiled at the other couple. "Richard. It's great to see you." May hugged Richard and then looked at Mary. "And you must be Mary. Richard has talked about you so much."

"All good things, I hope.", Mary said, giving Richard a slight smile.

"Don't worry. All good things."

The rest of the evening went smoothly. The four ordered Thai and played board games. Eventually, the two split off. May and Mary were hanging out in the kitchen, and Ben and Richard were in the living room. May and Mary were sipping some wine.

"So, do you speak any Italian?", May asked Mary.

"No.", Mary said slowly. "I took some German in college, but never Italian."

"The cat dances at midnight.", May said in Italian.

"I have no idea what you just said.", Mary said with a laugh. Mary took a sip of wine. "If I had to guess, something about cheese."

"Um.", May said with a laugh. "Definitely. You are correct." May took a sip of her wine. "Definitely cheese."

May and Mary busted out laughing. Richard and Ben looked over at the couch, to see the girls laughing. Richard smiled as he watched Mary laugh. Ben looked fondly at his brother. Ben elbowed Richard, making the younger of the two look at him.

"It's amazing, isn't it?", Ben said happily.

"What?", Richard asked confused.

"How a laugh can be so mesmerizing, that you could just stand and watch them laugh for hours." Richard coughed slightly uncomfortably. Ben smiled. "No need to be embarrassed, little brother. The first time I realized I loved May, it was when I caught myself staring at her. She was laughing after burning lasagna. It was our third date, actually."

"I don't-," Richard sighed and lowered his voice. "I've never said that I love her."

"You never needed to say it." Ben smiled. "It was your eyes and the way you smiled at seeing her smile." Ben laughed to himself. "You may not know it, but you are in love with her. It's the Parker curse. We fall head over heels for women."

"I thought the Parker curse was how shit usually hits the fan around us."

"That too." Richard smiled and looked back at Mary. His heart swelled in a way he never felt before. He smiled and looked back at Ben. "Hey Ben."

"Yeah?"

"How'd you know?"

"Know what?"

"That May was the one?"

"Hmmm." Ben leaned back in his seat. "I just knew." Ben poked Richard in the chest. "And you will just know too."

Richard nodded and looked towards his sister in law and his girlfriend. His gaze caught Mary's, and she smiled brightly at him. Richard smiled back and knew, right then, that she was the one.

A couple hours had past, and soon Richard and Mary were walking down the streets of New York. Holding hands, they strolled together.

"Thank you for doing this.", Mary said softly. "May was so nice, and it was great meeting your brother."

"Yeah.", Richard replied. Richard smirked. "He may be older, but I got the looks and the brain."

"I don't know." Mary smirked back. "I think Ben has you trumped on one of those."

"Oh really?" Richard stopped walking and stared at Mary. "Well, I'm one of Oscorps best scientists, so that means that-," Richard gasped dramatically. "Ben does not have me beat on looks. No. Absolutely not."

"Of course not." Mary smiled affectionally. "You are very handsome Mr. Parker."

"And you are beautiful Ms. Fitzpatrick." Richard leaned in and Mary filled the gap between their lips. They kissed for a moment and then leaned their heads on one another. Richard felt his heart flutter, and felt a surge of confidence. "Mary."

"Hmm?"

"I love you."

Mary looked up at Richard and smiled. If anyone could make her feel the way she does, it was Richard. He was her safe place.

"I love you too."