𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟿

Surprisingly, Forge and Daunting's relationship had significantly improved as they continued their training after the events of the battle. They still had arguments and banters, and they were still competitive when they sparred with one another, but for the most part, they were more lighthearted and not nearly as serious as before.

They had even developed a habit of walking back to their barracks together, making small-talk along the way. Daunting also no longer spoke to Penetrate regularly as far as Forge knew, and tended to stray away from her as much as he possibly could. But she was in their fleet and Forge knew they couldn't avoid her forever.

"Daunting, it's been a while." Came a voice from behind them both once Ruthless had dismissed them from training for the time being and allowed them to walk back to their barracks and rest. Forge spun around begrudgingly, knowing who the familiar voice belonged to before he could even face her. "Mind catching up with me while we head back?" The pair of skeletons were both met with the familiar dark skull of Forge's cousin, as she strolled toward them, her pace casual and steady.

"Forge and I actually planned to walk back together," Daunting replied, meeting her gaze with an even expression. "and I wouldn't want to make him uncomfortable by letting you come along." Even though their relationship was improving substantially, Daunting's clear tone and bold words still came as a surprise to Forge.

There was a hint of something like disbelief that seemed to cross her skull for a fleeting moment before it was replaced once again by her usual placid, yet confident demeanor. "Whoa, what do you mean by that?" She crossed her arms, lowering her gaze to glare at Forge, a look full of scorn, and behind it, hostility. "Is scrawny scared of his own cousin now?" She was only a few inches from the both of them, taking the opportunity to give Forge a shove. Perhaps from a distance, it would have seemed like she was just being playful, but the ominous glower he was receiving from her told him otherwise. "Did the war traumatize you so much that you avoid interacting with other creatures now or something?" Forge met her gaze, hoping he appeared much more fearless than he sure felt. When she didn't receive an answer from him though, Penetrate turned back to Daunting. "Come on. What happened to us spending every chance we could together? Are you really going to throw all of that in a pool of lava for a dumb-skull like Forge?"

"You'd better watch what you're saying," Daunting's voice was unexpectedly cold as he spoke. Though he clearly hadn't cared before about Penetrate's blatant hatred for her cousin, he definitely seemed to now.

"Well, if he wasn't a complete idiot, he'd know I'm only joking around." She gave Forge another, softer nudge, as if to prove her point. "We're family, it's not like I meant any harm by it, right Forge?"

"I'd appreciate it if you left like Daunting subtlety suggested." Forge replied, trying his best to bury the fear and anxiety that threatened to show on his skull.

"Bold words for a quiet creature. Why can't you say such things when it's actually necessary for you to?" She asked.

"You heard him, Penetrate. You can walk back on your own." Daunting took a fraction of a step in front of where Forge stood, partially blocking his view of her. "Maybe you'll find more dumb-skulls like yourself to insult while you're at it."

"Wow. It seems Forge isn't the only one who is all blaze-talk and no bones." Penetrate lifted her practice sword with one hand, studying it with a dubious expression for a short moment. "I haven't seen you fight with a sword in a while. Let's see if you're bold words make up for your combat skills."

Forge noticed Daunting's grip on his own weapon tighten and after a few moments of silent contemplation, he swung at her without any warning at all. But before Penetrate could even retaliate, a booming voice startled all three of the skeletons.

"Why is your first instinct to start fights with every single creature you happen to disagree with?" From behind Forge's cousin, he spotted the familiar bony figure of Sergeant Ruthless. "Penetrate, Forge, get back to the barracks." She ordered before returning her attention to Daunting, and eying him with a disdainful glare. "As for you, go take some time away from the other soldiers to clear your head. I don't even care if you're absent for your next training session." She told him. "If I have to get onto you for starting fights again, you'll be sent to the prisons, so you'd better quit acting out like some misbehaving child. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, Sergeant Ruthless," Daunting's reply was barely even a murmur, difficult even for Forge to hear. The larger wither skeleton turned away before Ruthless could say another word; before any of them could say or do anything.

Ruthless was the second of them all to turn away, muttering to Penetrate and Forge as she went past, "Do as you're told and get back to the barracks."

But Forge stayed where he was, conflicted on whether he should do as he was told, or go after Daunting instead. Penetrate was hesitant to head back as well, giving Forge's shoulder another shove, much harsher this time in comparison to what she had done in front of Daunting. Forge struggled to keep his balance, nearly stumbling before he was able to right himself, and keep his feet planted firmly on the netherrack beneath him.

"I don't know what lies you've been telling Daunting, but you'd better watch your spine if you plan to keep it up." Penetrate sneered. "You're nothing but an insignificant soldier who will die here sooner or later, and honestly that would be an improvement." Forge didn't say a word as she stormed away, leaving him alone, the only sound being the boiling gurgles from the surrounding lavafalls.

He knew it would be for the best if he followed Ruthless's orders and returned to the barracks with Penetrate and the other soldiers, but there was a part of him that wanted to follow Daunting, to make sure he was okay.

Forge found himself looking in the direction Daunting had gone, the minuscule outline of his skeletal body still visible from where Forge was standing in contemplation. Then, something else distracted him, a flash of golden-yellow shimmering from the netherrack ground below. Forge bent down to get a better look, gripping the object with his fingers to get bring it closer.

It was Daunting's bracelet! The larger skeleton must not have noticed it slip off of his wrist in the midst of his feelings toward Penetrate. Forge didn't need another second to consider his options. Tightening his grip on his newfound treasure, he decided right then and there what he was going to do.

Daunting refused to leave Forge when he was vulnerable in battle, and in return, Forge wouldn't let Daunting deal with his overwhelming emotions alone.