Working Nights

Spock could go much longer than a human without sleep. While working nights was more efficient for the enterprise logically, Spock did occasionally miss spending nights with his husband. Unfortunately, the captain needs much more rest than he does. Working the Gamma and Delta shifts together would be counterproductive.

"Five credits says he'll show up at 0100 hours." Smith says, no louder than a whisper.

Silva shakes her head, "He won't come tonight. Commander Spock was off duty last night."

"I will take you up on that." Janus chimes in, "I say he's gonna come in before 0000."

"I do not appreciate your gambling while on duty."

The sound of the first officer's voice caused them to stiffen slightly. The bridge goes quiet.

Quiet chatter slowly begins to fill the space once again. Janus and Smith abandoning

The doors to the turbo lift whoosh open, the crewmen turn their heads. The captain stood, half awake, inside. Still clad in red plaid pajama pants and a large NASA sweatshirt.

It is well known that the captain has an interest in old things. The old American space program has always been on of those things. The sweatshirt had been a gift from Spock, not long after they were married. A favorite of Jim's.

His feet were bare. Not that he minded. The cold ship floor was far from pleasant, but Jim didn't care in that moment. He only had one thing on his mind.

Spock.

Professionality be damned Jim was going to sleep with his husband. Or he wasn't going to sleep at all.

He had tried earlier that night. A fruitless attempt. After spending a few hours, finishing yet another model starship, Jim had decided to go to the bridge.

Spock acknowledged his husband's presence but he said nothing. Nothing aloud.

They shared a strong mental bond. They didn't need to speak aloud to hear one another, not since they had been bonded.

'I was with you just last night, t'hy'la.' In Jim's mind Spock almost sounded amused. Of course Jim knew better.

Jim's reply was soft, his mind not entirely conscious in his tired state, 'I missed you. Couldn't sleep without you next to me.'

Jim sits himself on Spock's thigh, leaning back into him. Spock hooks his arm under Jim's knees and pulls him up so the captain is sitting fully on his lap. Jim leans his head onto Spock's shoulder, tucking his knees up to his chest and cuddling closer to his husband. He closes his eyes and let's himself relax further.

'Rest, ashayam.' Spock's voice is soft, even for their bond, 'I will still be here when you wake.'

The soft sound of Spock's voice in his mind lulls Jim to sleep. Spock presses a gentle human kiss to the top of Jim's head. Jim hums softly, turning his face into Spock's shoulder. Spock returns to his duties as if Jim weren't there, almost absent mindedly running his hand down Jim's arm.

"I told you." Janus whispers as he nudges Silva's arm, trying to stifle a chuckle, "Five credits. Smith owes me, what? Thirty now?"

Spock raises an eyebrow at the crewman, "I believe I made it quite clear that I do not wish to see or hear of any gambling on the bridge."

Janus fell quiet. It is Silva's turn to laugh, turning back to her work to avoid further comments from the first officer.