Chapter 31

Takes place in the past. 

-Warning- 

-Blood... I guess?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Techno sat at the edge of his bed, staring at the wooden box on his lap. A crushing feeling lingered in his chest, gradually swelling as the silence thickened. Techno's eyed the old wood.

Ten years.

It had been ten years since he had last held it.

His hands trembled softly when they brushed the metal lock. Techno took a deep breath, held it, then lifted the lid, sending a wave of memories.

The soft aroma of rose perfume lifted from it. He remembered how much his mother loved the flower. She would talk about planting rose bushes in front of their house. She reminded him of a flower; her gentle features were pastel petals and his heart was pricked by her thorns everytime he thought of her. Techno missed how her eyes would soften at the sight of its delicate petals.

Techno smiled at the bittersweet memory. He placed the lid on the bed next to him then brought out the letter, gently opening the envelope. He was met by the rough hand writing of his father. Techno chuckled softly, trying to recall if his father could ever write nicely.

Yet the first words nearly brought him to tears.

To my prince,

I feared this day would come and I hope that one day you can forgive me. It's only right that you know why this came to be. Me and your mother were never on good terms with the village though she was more human than I was. We couldn't fit in with the village, they wouldn't let us, so we eloped. We ran away and the people weren't fond of me marrying your mother, the love of my life.

When you were born, I can't recall being as happy when I first held you in my arms. My greatest regret is that I can't watch you grow up, to teach you how to make your first sword, maybe even become a blacksmith like your old man. If only we could have been there....if only they gave us more time to be with you. Take what we taught you throughout your life for me Tech, don't forget the lessons we taught. Keep those you love close, I know you will. Every prince must grow to be a king. Please accept this gift, passed down from your family, to you.

Love,

Papa

A tear fell on the corner of the letter. Techno bit his lip, trying to hide all the pain that was now surfacing. He remembered his parents' screams from that night. He could see the sight of his mother's face as the arrow went through her chest. His father died fighting to protect him. He remembered the sound of his back breaking, then the guards laughed. He remembered everything while he hid in that box. Under old jackets and scarff lay the little boy listening to his parents kick the bucket. Techno sobbed, his hand over his mouth trying to stay quiet.

His ruby eyes fell on the item inside the box. A golden crown glistened on his lap. Small gems were welded into its center. His heart ached as he recognized the stones were from his mother's jewelry. He saw the sapphire necklace, her diamond wedding ring and her ruby earrings. He recognized his father's hand work. A note rested on the crown, Fit for a king.

"Techno?" A quiet voice sounded from the doorway. "Why are you crying?"

"Ranboo...I-" He choked on his tears making the boy flinch in worry.

Ranboo hurried over to his friend, wrapping him in a tight hug. Techno sobbed loudly into the other shirt. His body shook violently, remorse and guilt washed over him. Ranboo winced slightly as the tears soaked through his shirt, burning the skin underneath but he stayed still to comfort his brother.