Into the New World

She had been running for hours. Looking for ways to escape. She was being hunted for a crime she didn't commit. It was her father's doing but she was paying for its price. She didn't know where else to go. She had nowhere else to go. Running past the busy streets of Belverst, passing through the town's quaint old bookstore, she went into the woods. She knows that the probability of her losing her tails in the woods is high and so she went straight ahead – despite its infamous tales of being not able to get out of it. The minute she was deep into the woods, she crouched right behind a big tree's root, hoping that it would cover her enough. She tucked her knees to her chest and tried to breathe slowly through her nose as the men who were chasing her passed her by.

  "Search for her! We will not leave until we get her!" yelled the man with a big mustache with a scar in the right corner of his lips. She was being chased for her father's vocal disapproval of the current town's mayor. Her father has fled the town the day before without telling anyone where he was going and she was left all alone to fend for herself.

Thinking she'd be discovered soon if she stayed in one spot, she began crawling towards another large tree with big roots. Her knees and hands were scraped, she lost a shoe and her hair was all over the place but she did not have the time to think about those as she was fighting for her life.  She was in a hurry and did not have the time to be careful. A few steps more and she would've reached the other tree but the next she knew her hand landed on a hollow spot, and she fell through a hole with a loud yelp. She quickly covered her mouth as she was falling as she realized that they must've heard her and feared that they would follow. Ironically, she was more terrified of what would happen to her if they had caught her than her falling to her death.

            She landed with a loud thud and found herself on top of a pile of sacks filled with soil. She was in the end of a tunnel with rail tracks and turned metal carts – much like how mines are portrayed in movies. It was dark, save for a few dying lights, and dusty – she could tell this mine was abandoned just by the amount of dust there is on the carts. She looked up to the hole to see if the men chasing her were coming down, but it was too dark that she could not make up anything of it. She then started following the rail tracks hoping that she'd find a way out. After an hour of walking, she came across a door that is slightly ajar with a faint light coming in to where she was at.

            She found herself in the middle of another forest. The door she found was almost covered with vines, no one would ever think that it was a door to a mine. Beside the entrance was a broken-down sign with Trilby's written on it. It seems like the name of whoever owned the mine. She then started walking away from the mine, still cautious as she's in an unknown territory and scared that she would come across a wild animal on her way to finding the exit.

            It was getting dimmer when she spotted a light from a lamp a few yards away from her. She walked towards it and found herself right outside a small cabin with its lights on. From the window, she saw a lady dressed in what seemed to be like the ones people used to wear back in the 18th century – even the lady's hair was styled in the same era. Albeit the dress looks worn out, it still looked magnificent on the lady while she was busily slicing up vegetables in her kitchen. Weirded out, she came closer to the cabin's door and knocked twice.

"Hello?" she frantically said. "Who's there?" The lady replied in a faint voice.

"Hi! I need your help. Will you please help me?" she loudly replied. The lady opened the door slowly and peeked through it.

"I am not expecting a guest of any sort at this time, nor will I ever have any guest coming in. Who are you and to what do I owe the pleasure of your presence?!" the lady answered, now in a much louder voice trying to mask the fear in her voice.

"I have been chased by men who were trying to kill me for my father's sins. I fell into a hole and found myself in a mine near here. I have been running for hours now and I am wounded. Please, help me! I don't want to die yet!" she frantically replied while alertly looking around.

The lady again took another peek at her and eyed her from head to toe. When the lady saw the wound and recognition registered in her eyes, she quickly opened the door, scanned the whole surroundings, and quickly gestured for her to come in.

"Come on in, dear! You look terrible. It must have been a tiring journey. What happened? How did you find this place?" the lady asked while asking her to sit on the chair and pouring her a glass of water.

"My name is Alyssa Smith and I am from Belverst." she started and told her about what transpired before she found the lady's cabin right outside of the woods.
Alyssa later learned that she is in a place called "The Town" and the lady who helped her is named Lady Margaret Wegleitner of Lincholm. Lady Margaret shared that she was banished from her estate for some personal reasons she was not happy to share and was sent to the small cabin right behind Lincholm where she is to spend the rest of her life. Lady Margaret offered Alyssa some of her clothes and took her in. She also offered Alyssa to stay for a while as she could use a companion as living in the cabin has been boring for her.
Alyssa stayed with Lady Margaret for a few months, and they have become great friends. Alyssa has grown accustomed to the old fashion ways of The Town and adapted to the place so fast that a few months after she asked Lady Margaret if it's alright with her that she plans on staying and not leaving anymore. Alyssa promised that in exchange she would help her out in cleaning the cabin and all the other house chores. Lady Margaret readily agreed and was happy to have her in her home. She told Alyssa that if ever someone comes knocking, to tell them that she is her servant so that they will not suspect anything.
And that is how Alyssa Smith, the first person - after the fabled Mr. Jones from above ground, found The Town.