The Sun and the Moon

Lunarians were always famous for their wings. Pitch-black, monstrous, heavy wings could call winds so strong to shake the mountain ranges, like songs and legends sung long before the Void Century.

It's been more than twenty years since your left wing broke. Now, as you walk at the top of the Red Line, it only brushes the soil and the dry, fleshless bones of your ancestors.

The day you lost it was the same when the Government took Alber, who you haven't seen ever since.

-We shouldn't go there! The Sky Islands are far away. -you laughed at him, the two of you flying down the crimson rocks.

-I want to show you the blue sea, [Y/N]! Like you've never seen before.

The last Lunarians, you and him. Both of you were born with dark skin and pearl-white hair. He had a tattoo on his face, you had on your neck, running down to your chest.

Alber was always silent, a fearsome warrior when it came to battle. Only you have seen his softer side, warm and bright like his smile so rare to be seen.

-It's so different now, so close. -you smiled, leaning down to run your fingers through the water. The man floated next to you and took your hand gently.

You saw his white hair blown by the mild wind of his wings. The sundown's rays gleam on the waves of the ocean, then reflect in his dark eyes. The most beautiful person and soul you've ever met.

He smiled back at you, and you knew he was about to say something precious and strange.

You accidentally kick a skull away and shiver, biting your lower lip. But you continue your way until you find the cliff where the two of you sat every day.

As you take place, your eyes find the sky, the horizon, and then the endless sea where it happened. Your fists clench at the memories.

-You're like the Sun, [Y/N], and I can be the Moon, reflecting your light. -he said, leaning closer to you.

-How long did it take to figure this out? -you whispered with a chuckle and took his other hand too, flying above him. He was the first to laugh as always.

-Do you believe in destiny, Alber?

-I don't. -he answered, letting go of your hand to descend to the level of the sea again.

He was walking on the surface with soft and slow wafts of his black wings, feet starting wee waves on the water. You were always amazed how gently, how perfectly he could use them.

-I only believe in us.

You watch the distant sea without a word. Now, that silly metaphor feels painfully like reality. Sun and the Moon are in the same sky but never together.

You've tried to reach the blue sea many times since they took him away, but you weren't able to do it.

You hate yourself for being too weak.

He smiled at you again and kissed you tenderly, then rested his forehead against yours for a few seconds. It was a habit of his, trying to express what he felt.

-I want to find a new place to live. -said Alber. -I can't live my life surrounded by corpses.

-The world is dangerous for us.

-We're dangerous too. Strong enough to protect ourselves. -smiled the man. -You have to believe too, [Y/N].

-I will, as long as the Moon shines every night.