Prologue

" Putra..... tumhe iss kanya se Vivaah karna hi hoga, anyatha log Kuru vansh par ungliyaan uthaate rahenge. Mujhe gyaat hai ki uss raatri....kuch bhi anishth nahi hua kintu jab log bolte hai, tab satya asatya ka koi mol nahi reh jaata.

Ek jhootha lanchan bhi kisike varsho ke sthaapit sanmaan ko Rett ke durg ki bhaati bikharne mein samay nahi lagta."

These words constantly echoed in his head till the point that it hurt. It was as if he was numb & his brain had stopped working.

" Varr ko varmala, pehnaiyye!"

These words broke through his reverie, as he bowed his head to allow his bride to garland him.

His heart skipped a beat & then shattered into millions of peices at a single glance at his bride. Unlike any normal bride, she was devoid of any jwellery, her hair were open & unkempt.

Her clothes looked like they had seen better days, & were torn, the only finery on her was the deep crimson odhni on her head. Her eyes were lowered demurely, as she trembled slightly. Several bruises marred her beautiful skin. Inspite of all this, her beauty was far too great to be human. Even with her dusky skin, he'd never seen a woman even close to her beauty before.

The pain & abuse this soul had been through cut through him, twisting his very being from within. Even though she was to be his bride, he didn't even know her name, much less the monsters responsible for her deplorable condition.

As the oblivious priest chanted the holy mantras while they took rounds around the holy fire, his bride nearly collapsed against him with a pained whimper.

He scrunched his eyes, unable to tolerate her pain, wanting nothing more than to take it all on himself, of it just meant to relieve her of it. He held his bride's col, clammy hand as they took rounds around the holy fire which would bind them into holy matrimony.

Her legs were trembling with her own miniscule weight, however for the life of her she would not allow her groom to carry her, not wanting to cause him any more discomfort than already caused due to her, even he had protested several times that it was nothing like that.

However, she understood that he was merely being nice. She had been a burden on her own family, then how could she not be on this stranger, who was marrying her out of the goodness of his heart.

On the other hand, as they took their vows, the groom's concerned gaze was transfixed on his sad, pained bride. In that moment, as he wholeheartedly accepted her as his wife, his better half, he vowed to protect her, care for her, love her, cherish her & most importantly punish those who had dared to even look at her with an ill intent. Though their marriage may have been out of duty, he was determined to be the best husband to her.

The sindoor-daan finally marked her as his bride forever, as he carefully decorated her hair parting with a pinch of vermillion. As their eyes met briefly, he smiled adoringly at her, making her blush momentarily to his delight, though almost immediately she grew almost emotionless again.
He had no mangalsutra to bestow upon his bride, who he believed deserved so much better than an impromptu, forced marriage to a complete stranger like him. Hence, the rakshasutra thread provided by the priest would have to do.

He knew the smoke of the hawan kund was already irritating her sore lungs, increasing her wheezing further, hating to see her suffer so, helplessly.

" Vivaah sampann hua! Aajse aap dono janm-janmaantar ke saathi hue."

********

On the other hand....

" DRAUPADIIIIII!!!"
Prince Dhristadyumn watched his sister, Princess Shikhandini collapse on the ground breaking into uncontrollable sobs, clutching onto a peice of a brilliant crimson odhni with heavy golden detailing, befitting the robes of a royal.
However, it was torn & blood soaked.