Chapter 7: Afraid To Love

Dharmraj Yudhishthir, the righteous scion of the Kurus sighed, her copper eyes growing melancholy as he gazed into the brilliantly starry night. However, unlike the beautiful stars illuminating the vast skies perfectly, there was nothing to illuminate his life though.

Bound by the customs & bonds of the society which was unaware of their marriage, he stared wistfully at the little thatched hut at a little distance, where the woman he loved lay, injured but currently resting peacefully.

How his heart ached to rush past that door, & hold her against his chest, make sure she was fine. It had been hours since he'd caught a glimpse of her & the heartache he felt was maddening. Was it true that even a little time spent apart from one's soulmate caused pain? He hadn't known before then.

Just then, he heard rustling & the crunching of the leaves on the forest floor as someone approached or rather ran. He immediately grew alarmed, his grip tightening on his spear.

" PUTRAAAAAAA!!!"
Dharmraj shot up from where he sat guarding the hut containing his resting wife as well as awaiting the arrival of her tormentors so that he could bring them to justice.

The righteous Ajatshatru grew worried hearing the heartwrenching wails of woman. Somehow, they sounded oddly familiar.

" YUDHISHTHIR!!!! PUTRA!!!!"
Came another cry, making the golden skinned prince gasp.
Y: Maa.....?!!!!
He exclaimed, his eyes widening as he looked around anxiously to locate the woman, who he was sure was none other than his maata.

Just as he turned to a side, something or rather someone crashed into him, nearly falling but he held on to her.
His wild coppery orbs met the tear filled chocolate brown ones of his mother. He was stunned! How in the world did she reach there in the middle of the night?

K: Dhanyawad putra....
She thanked him for saving her from falling, as Dharmaraj took her dishelved appearance, wrinkled clothing & red rimmed, tear filled eyes. He felt a sharp pain in his heart, having never seen her this pained & frantic before. Immediately he wracked his brains to know what he could do to soothe her.

K: Tum isi ashram ke nivasi lagte ho.
She exclaimed as her frantic eyes still looked around as if searching for someone.
Y: Ji...main....
Yudhishthir began but the alarmed & pained mother cut him off.
K: Sach? Tab toh tum avashya mere Yudhishthir ko jante hoge. Hastinapur ka jyeshth rajkumar hai mera putra. K..kya tum mujhe uske paas le jaoge, putra? Badi kripa hogi. V...vo....m... mujhe sandesh mila tha....use bohot ghaav lage hai...patra par rakt...aur...aur....
Kunti could barely speak as she broke into sobs, crying inconsably like never before. He held her against him tightly, allowing her to let it out.

Yudhishthir was shocked, unable to understand what had caused his mother, one of the strongest woman in his life, the firm pillar of his own strength, break down thus.

Y: Aap sarvapartham shaant hojaiyye, tatpashchat baat karenge, hmm?
He whispered softly, before helping her sip water from his own pitcher. She protested, but he would hear none of it until she had sipped a little water.

Kunti found herself calming down in the oddly familiar presence. Why did this young man look so familiar?
K: Tumhaara bohot aabhar putra kintu ab mujhe mere putra ke paas.....
She began, trailing off in shock as her eyes met his beautiful, molten copper pools.

Kunti rested her trembling hands on his broad shoulders, as tears trickled down her face without a stop. Her palms moved from his shoulders, cupping his stubbled cheeks, making him close his eyes to relish his mother's affectionate touch after more than a decade.

K: Yudhishthir....!
She exclaimed, recognising the handsome, robust young man her little son had grown into. The teary eyed mother proudly took in every feature of his. From the tiny, chubby little baby prince with hopelessly round & rosy cheeks to the lean, smart teenager & finally to the broad shouldered, well built, tall, handsome & soft spoken young warrior her child had grown into.