Prologue

Spencer and Riley stared at each other, chests heaving. They both knew better than to get closer, but neither was willing to take the first step away.

"They'll be home any minute," Spencer whispered.

"I know."

"Annaliese is going to need us to be there for her," he added. The words were hard to get out. He didn't want to say them. He didn't want to say anything to Riley but yes (or, more accurately: oh, God, yes). And if anything was going to cool Riley's burning gaze, it would be the reminder that Spencer's sister was almost due back from the hospital.

Only, it didn't.

Riley's eyes smoldered and instead of stepping back, he moved in closer. "I know that, too."

Spencer licked his lips and wondered whether it was possible for his heart to beat out of his chest. In this moment, he almost believed it was. "Riley-"

That was all he got out before Riley connected their lips. Spencer's eyes fluttered helplessly shut as every argument for why this was wrong evaporated from his mind. In fact, there was no room for anything other than the feel of Riley and the relief of finally, finally giving in.

"Riley," he sighed when the taller man pulled away to press hot, wet kisses down his neck.

This wasn't what was supposed to happen, but Spencer didn't care anymore.

When Riley paused to breathe, Spencer walked them back to the bed and laid down, pulling Riley on top of him. "We'll have to be fast," Spencer said, eyes glinting with eagerness and excitement.

Riley's only answer was to tug off Spencer's pants, making him squeal in surprise. Riley turned his head away so Spencer couldn't see how he smiled at that...

And so that Spencer wouldn't see the misgivings in his eyes, the ones he felt every time Spencer did anything endearing. Guilt twisted in his gut, but he ruthlessly shoved it aside and slipped off Spencer's shirt to reveal smooth, unblemished skin.

He wants this, Riley told himself. And I need it. Nothing else matters right now.

But that was a lie.