Try outs

I let my long, wavy, dirty blonde hair fall over my shoulders and hang to my mid back, as I brush it out. I got dressed in my work clothes because right after these tryouts I have to go to work. Which is just a hoodie, jeans, and some Vans.

"Liv, hurry up!" My brother yells as I grab my bag with my wallet in it and race down the stairs to meet him at the front door

"I'm here, calm down." I tell him, then I check my phone and see it's 5:20am. "Lets go, we have ten minutes."

"Tell yourself that, captain." He jokes, I never get it but I act like a do. "So what's up with the new kid?"

"Not sure, but I guess he's good enough to try out for our team, halfway through the season. His name is Jordan Brown"

"He better be good otherwise he just wasted my morning."

"Yeah, Yeah. Lets go now." I say in a flat tone clearly pissed off that I am up and heading to the Arena on a Saturday morning. Don't get me wrong, I love going to the Arena just not if it's on a Saturday at 5:30 one hour before work then a game later.

We get to the arena with five minutes to spare, the whole Cyclones team is waiting at the front enterance for us. Maddox, my defense partner and bestfriend, is holding a chcolate bar and two coffees.

"Here, you look like you need it more then I do." He says to me as we start to walk up the stairs of the players enterance and he hands me the chcolate bar and a coffee.
"Thanks Mad." We head up the stairs and find Coach Nelson with assisnt Coach Baker. Coach Nelson is Bretts dad, assistant Coach Baker is Corys dad.

"Hey Liv. Boys I need you to do down and say goodluck to Jordan, tell him your captain is sorry he can't make it. Okay?"

"Yes Coach." Everyone says in sync.

"Then I need all of you to go up the stands, Liv will be on the ice with Jordan, so don't expect her."

"On it Coach." My brother says. I'm the captain and he's the assistant captain, sweet right? Any way, if this kid makes it on the team he will be the other assistant capatin.

"But I'm wearing jeans.."

"Well.. don't rip them then."

I sit on the boards with my skates and helmet on as I'm snapping the groupchat.

"Hey kid," I turn to look back at Jordan and see he is a little nervous, Coach Nelson claps his shoulder. "Nothing to worry about son, you got this." I roll my eyes and turn around again.

"Yeah execpt the fact that the Cyclones have been a family for 9 years." My phone is taken from my hands and I look up to see Coach Baker with it. "Hey!" I whip my legs around and jump off from the boards. "Give it back!"

"Do you have a problem with Jordan trying out?" Coach Nelson asks me.

"No Coach, I don't."

"Good becasue last time I checked, it wasn't up to you." I roll my eyes at him, only becasue he's making it look like I'm not on the team so I guess I should too. I turn and face Coach Baker and see him taking a selfie with my phone.

"What are you doing?" I ask and look over his shoulder to see the picture says, "Hey boys! Gtg ttyl!!!!" I laugh at that.

"Okay Jordan. This is Lavinia she will be on the ice with you, giving you things to do and evaluating you on some things we can't see from the bench. Now get on the ice."

"Okay so we will be starting with a small warm up called "Six Cones, Two Pucks." Do you know it?"

"Yeah." He says to me as I put six cones around the ice and he drops the pucks in a small spot on the right wing of the ice.

"Okay, ready, go." I tell him and he takes off down the ice with two pucks. He turns around all six cones, touches the boards, drops to a plank, does five push ups, comes back up and speeds back towards me, without losing a puck. Of course not including when he did a plank.
"Impressive, again."

After he did the drill five more times we worked on shooting, passing and, more drills, along with stamina.

"What do you think?" Coach Nelson asks.

"I think he's really good, great even. How about you Coach Nelson?"

"Well Coach Baker I think he's Cyclone material. Lavinia? Is Jordan good enough for you, or are you going to reject him like every other person who waltzed in here looking to fill the last spot."

I glance over at the boy across from me and we make eye contact. His face is a little red, and his breathing is starting to come back to normal. He has really great stamina and I can tell he would be a great fit to play with Brett and Cory. So I'll give him a chance. By now Jordan is chewing his upper lip and his face is starting to show a little bit of nervousness, because of my silence.

"You can start tonight at the game. You will play starting center with Brett and Cory as your wings. If you can't play hard enough you can't be on the team. The only reason I am starting you today is so I can see if you can keep up with Brett and Cory. If you can, I will let you stay as starting center and bump my brother down. If you can't, then you will leave the arena. Got it?"

His face shows that he is happy with that answer but is also confused because he isn't sure why I am telling him this and not one of the coaches.

"Be happy with that answer kid, she hasn't ever done that before." Coach Nelson says to Jordan.

"This is only temporary. There is an assisant captain slot open though, so keep that in mind tonight." I start to take off my skates and helmet. "I have to go to work now so the Coaches will tell you the details of tonight. Like the dress code, how we do things around here, and who your new team captain is." I said the last part direcly to Coach Nelson.

***

A/N

Thank you for choosing to read this story, I hope you like it so far!

I am a first time writer for other people, mostly I just like to write for myself.

Sorry if there were any mistakes and stuff like that, my computer was glitching and I was writing in a spot then it would go crazy like it was crack or something and start typing random shit somewhere else.

Word Count: 1165