xxxv. old, new, borrowed, blue

As the soft Forks light filtered through the glass windows, Kiara Black stood before the ornate mirror in Beverly Hale and Emmett Cullen's shared bedroom in the Cullen residence. Her fingers nervously traced the delicate lace edges of the deep blue dress that hung against her body, the fabric being soft and gentle to the touch. The dress was a masterpiece, chosen specifically by Alice for the occasion that had brought everyone together – Bella and Edward's wedding.

Well... almost everyone. Kiara had been told by Sam that they didn't expect Jacob to turn up as he hadn't came into the territory, but she knew her brother better than that. Kiara and Edward were both expecting the boy to appear at some point during the festivities, and Kiara just hoped he wasn't going to gatecrash and upset Bella. This was her special day, and it might just be one of the last ones she spent with her family and friends before she was inevitably changed.

"ln here, Mom," Kiara's eyes flickered towards the ceiling as her hearing picked up on the conversation that was happening in the room above where she was. Bella had been getting ready with Alice and Rosalie, her bridesmaids, while Beverly had been instructed by Alice to make sure that Kiara was actually ready and put on all of the different accessories that she'd bought for the wolf.

"Oh, my gosh! You're so beautiful. Oh, honey."

Kiara's fingers brushed over the little silver wolf charm that hung from her neck – a gift from Alice and Jasper that morning. The pendant was cool against her skin, a comforting reminder of her roots and the heat that ran through her veins. Yet, as she stared at her reflection in the mirror, listening in to the reunion between Bella and her mother upstairs, her eyes clouded with a hint of sadness.

The door to the bedroom creaked open, and Beverly entered, her ethereal beauty almost matching that of her sister's. Beverly's golden eyes held a warmth that seemed almost impossible for a vampire, and her smile radiated an infectious joy that instantly lifted the heavy veil of Kiara's thoughts.

"Hey," Beverly's voice was a soothing melody, "you look stunning, Kiara. Alice was right, my sister won't be able to take her eyes off you tonight."

Kiara managed a smile, her cheeks tinged with a faint blush as she tucked a loose strand of her long black hair behind her ear. "Thanks. You look pretty incredible yourself."

Beverly stepped closer, her fingers grazing the back of Kiara's hand as she pulled out the hair tie that the girl's hair was tied together with. They'd already curled her hair that morning, but Beverly had instructed her to keep it out of her face until she'd been able to come back and finish the job. 

"Nervous?" Beverly asked, her eyes locking onto Kiara's. She could hear the wolf's heartbeat, and noticed it was a little more jittery than usual.

Kiara let out a soft laugh, her anxiety momentarily forgotten. "More like a bundle of emotions I can't quite untangle."

"It's a big day, not just for Bella and my dearest brother, but for you too. I know how much she means to you," Beverly said, her fingers working through Kiara's hair as she gently brushed out her curls. They'd settled on a very natural look, keeping things simply and keeping Kiara in her comfort zone. "And Jake, too."

A mixture of gratitude and affection swelled in Kiara's chest. Ever since the Cullens had came into her life, Beverly always had a way of understanding her, of anchoring her in moments of uncertainty. She was thankful that it wasn't just Edward and herself that were sure that Jacob was going to make an appearance.

"I am truly happy for her," Kiara confessed. "It's just... It's bittersweet, you know?"

"It's your first family heirloom. Pass on to your daughter, and her daughter."