Chapter 46 - Old Habits Die Hard

I know you guys don't like Y/N right now, I don't either. But. Be patient, my loves. - G

𓆙▕⃝⃤ 𓆙

Severus Snape stares at the portrait of Albus Dumbledore, looking very enraged, very bitter, and very discouraged. His hands are gripped tightly at his sides, knuckles white, and his chest visibly moves as he breathes maddeningly. The office of the Headmaster is dim, poorly lit, how Snape prefers it as of late.

Term is resuming tomorrow - five weeks have passed since Severus Snape has spoken to or seen you. From what Narcissa has relayed to him, the Dark Lord is off with a handful of his followers, doing Merlin knows what. You weren't included. So, where are you?

"Well?!" Snape demands.

The portrait of Albus Dumbledore sighs. The late wizard leans back in his seat.

"I told you a long time ago, Severus, that Miss Reynolds shouldn't have distracted you. If she has truly chosen the path of darkness, you need to forget about her."

Snape scoffs, lurching forward and grasping his portrait. He yanks it off the wall and raises it above his head, fully intending to smash it agaisnt the stone floors of the Headmaster's Office.

Gritting his teeth, his shaking hands slowly lower the portrait and shoves it back onto the wall. He inhales, nostrils flaring, and paces to the desk.

Exhaustedly, he collapses, leaning back into the chair.

Where are the fuck you? Snape thinks.

Pursing his lips, he grabs the Daily Prophet and opens it, looking for any clues on where Harry Potter, No. 1 Most Undesirable, may be.
They've charged Potter with involvement of the murder of Albus Dumbledore. How ironic that it was Snape to kill Dumbledore and he is Headmaster of Hogwarts, while Potter is innocent and on the run.

Tolby, Snape's loyal castle elf, appears in the room whilst Snape finishes reading the paper. He walks to Snape slowly, stopping at the edge of his desk. Snape lowers the Prophet, arching a brow down to him.

"Headmaster Snape... a letter from Mistress Malfoy..."

Tolby you reaches into his tattered robes and pulls out a simple envelope. Snape grabs it and opens it with no hesitance.

Severus,
A few days after the Battle of the Seven Potters, the Minister of Magic was killed. Do you remember? I overheard the healer speaking with Cain in her room today. Apparently, Y/N was the one to kill him. She used her status as a member of the Order of the Phoenix to get to him. I'm unsure of the rest of the details. Have you heard from her? Cain has not and she is her father. I wonder what she is doing. She's making Lucius look worst, carrying out dutiful work for the Dark Lord. Write back when you can.
Narcissa

Snape swallows to wet his rapidly drying throat and then rereads the letter.

She'll go to Azkaban, if she makes it out of this war alive, Snape horrifically thinks.

No. You can't go to Azkaban. Snape will find a way to save you. That is, if you want to be saved. He wishes he had some way to contact you. Owls are out of the question.

Snape's lips part as he remembers the two way mirror he got for you at the beginning of last school year. Making haste to the Headmaster's chambers, which is connected through the office, he hurries to his trunk, opening it. He rummages through his objects - rare potion ingredients, herbs, gloves and scarves - until he reaches the bottom and grabs the mirror.