The first glance

The air is cold from the unexpected snowfall from yesterday's dusk. Leaving my pansies' soil damp and chilled from the outside on my balcony. I step out into the morning air of NYC, the breeze slowly waving my hair off of my shoulders as I sip from my cup of coffee, still wrapped in the velvety blanket which is supposed to be on my bed. The faint sound of sirens and beeping cars comfort me as I finally awake from my early haze, preparing me for the eventful morning to come. It is my second day at Columbia University. I had arrived in New York earlier this week to get settled into my apartment that was a couple of blocks away from campus so I could get used to my new surroundings as I'm not that good with change. Just the thought of walking through the spacious, rich halls again made me feel elevated. I shut my eyes one last time to take in the city winter atmosphere before getting ready for my lecture. English literature.

Frost covers the sidewalk as I make my way toward the university. I'm probably going to be quite early, but it is better than being late. My eyes shift to the vague, near approaching view of the gracious steps that lead up to the main building of Columbia. I feel myself smile with anticipation as I start to walk up to them, taking in the beauty of it all. The halls are bare with no one to be seen and my footsteps echo through the atrium of the establishment. Class A22, English literature, I read from my pamphlet of all the lectures that are offered to me. I follow the map that was given to me yesterday, it felt like forever walking through the infinite halls that were surrounded by classy furniture and artwork that looks like it could be in the Pompidou Museum, but I wasn't complaining. The Ivory filled walls and the morning sunlight streaming through the large windows was beautiful, I can't believe that I was actually experiencing this exactly at this moment in time. As I keep strolling through the empty hallways, I find myself acquainted with the library and I stop in my tracks to admire the vintage spruce wood bookshelves that almost go up to the high ceiling and the old sliding ladders that reach the top of them. It had a sort of haze and nostalgia that felt reassuring. I'm in the right place. I had finally made it to the room I was supposed to be in, and I couldn't be more thrilled. My hand closed around the opening of the door and I pushed, leading me into a room filled with floor to ceiling windows and empty seats... except one. A guy around the same age as me was sitting with around four books on his table and glasses firmly sitting on his nose. He looks up at me and smiles but then quickly turns back to what he was reading.

"It's early, why are you here?" The man says, turning the page of the book which I can see is Pride and Prejudice. He has a slight British accent that was soft and welcoming.

"I guess I could ask you the exact same thing," I reply hastily while making my way to a seat in the middle row, around where he placed himself. He chuckles and puts his book down with ease to glance at me.

"I'm Andrew." He says, offering his hand to me.

"May." I shook it before I place my bag down to get my books out, putting them on my small table in front of me.

"I like your coat," Andrew says, and I smile at his compliment. I'm wearing a black penny lane coat with a black satin skirt and sheer tights. I always love people complimenting me on what I'm dressed in, my major is fashion after all.

"Thank you, I like your glasses," I reply while running my fingers down the fur trim of my coat. I see out of the corner of my eye Andrew smiling at my comment while he fixes his chocolate brown hair. "What's your major?" I ask him as I open my book of Wuthering Heights.

"Theatre," He answers as he looks up at me once again. I would not have guessed that.

"Theatre? What are you doing in English Literature?" I raise my eyebrow while I turn to face him.

"I guess I could ask you the same thing," He says. I laugh at his remark that I think was mocking me, but then I'm confused. How would he know that I'm not a lit major- "I'm assuming you're a fashion major, from your outfit of course," Andrew adds, pointing at my clothes and I smile once again.

"Correct, but I do not point you as the theatre type, but perhaps I'm being stereotypical," I reply while I tuck a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

"I get that a lot actually," He chuckles but is soon interrupted by students walking through the doors. The lesson was about to start.

Hi guys!! I hope you enjoyed this first chapter! I will probably publish another later today or tomorrow. As I've said before, feel free to leave suggestions! Late merry christmas!

- emma :)