Chapter Thirteen: Ghosts Of The Past

LUX BONTERI

Lux sat beside Ahsoka in her room, as she tapped furiously away at the keys on the screen of her holopad. She was doing what she called ‘serious Grand Jedi Master stuff’, which, from what he could see, seemed to consist of approving certain requests from the senior padawans. Or, in some cases, recently Knighted Jedi.

For the last hour, he had been thinking about that strange Force-ghost – but weren’t they all strange? – who claimed that he knew things about his family. Ahsoka, on the other hand, had been focusing mainly on working out a more cost-effective menu for the troopers and New Jedi, and sending messages via holopad to suggest which forms of lightsaber combat would be best suited for which padawans.

As she buried her face in her hands and growled in frustration for the third time in the last five minutes, he looked over at her. “You work way too hard, you know,” he said. “You’re doing more right now than most people do in three weeks!”

She laughed harshly. “I know!” Then her tone softened. “I’m making a failed attempt to do most of the things that I have to do every week in one day.”

“Oh,” he said, not knowing how to reply to such sheer organizational power.

“Because I know that no one else is going to do it.” She tossed the ‘pad aside and slouched in the pillows she was propped up against. “I know that I’m leaving the Order in good hands with Zaydn and Master Windu, but I can’t help but worry.”

Lux knew that she didn’t want verbal comfort at the moment; so instead, he gently caught hold of her chin with the tips of his fingers, and turned her face towards his. The he planted a soft kiss on her mouth. She kissed him back, and he smiled. Mission accomplished.

After a few moments of utter bliss, feeling the shape of one another’s lips, she pulled away, grinning like a schoolgirl. “Thanks, Lux… I think I needed that.”

He kissed the tip of her nose as a reply, and she giggled. “I have to go, but I guess that you should start packing. And remember to take it easy, okay?” He stood up and walked towards the door, pausing at the doorframe. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” she replied. Then, shooting a final smile in her direction, he left the room.

Lux scrambled out of the pipes that he had come to use to get around quickly, and half-fell, half jumped the six-foot drop to the ground below. As he stood up and brushed himself off, he looked around. He was on the west side of Temple Mountain, the enormous mass of rock that hid the New Jedi Temple from sight.

And from what he could see, he was alone.

He headed for the cover of the trees, then slowed down when he got close. He didn’t want anyone to spot him, and he knew from experience that fast-moving objects attracted more attention than slow-moving ones. And if someone saw him, they would surely report him to Ahsoka. She didn’t want anyone coming here.

Then, as soon as he was far enough in the woods to be mistaken for an animal if he was seen, he ran. He channeled the Force towards his political, scheming mind, using it to hone in on an old presence.

And… There. This was the trail that Ahsoka had forged, over six years ago, as she had run from him. Running away from his greatest mistake. She had walked in on him and Chenai Offee, who was later discovered to be a traitor, kissing. Well, Chenai had kissed him first, but he hadn’t done anything to push her away.

Lux shook his head, banishing such dark thoughts, instead occupying himself with the oddity of how the trail had stayed fresh, after all these years. Not in terms of physical evidence – there was none – but the raw emotional power remained.

After a ten-minute run, he had arrived. Breathing heavily to catch his breath, he walked into the clearing. He couldn’t help but wonder at the strange, almost mystic power that the place emanated. It beckoned him closer, as if willing him to discover its secrets.

And there, by the well, stood the Force-ghost. Enarion Dume shimmered slightly as he turned around, staring at him with those intense, grey-blue eyes. His gaze had a nearly magnetic power to it, and, unless you made a point to look elsewhere, you were helplessly drawn into it.

“You came,” Enarion said with a smile, eyes twinkling. They didn’t really fit with the rest of his face, because they were as hard as chips of blue Nubian topazia gems, while everything else was welcoming. “I knew you would.”

“I want to know what you have to tell me,” Lux said, his voice calm and clear.

The specter’s eyebrows furrowed almost imperceptibly. “I would tell you if I could, but I need something first. I understand that you and your friends will be leaving for Onderon shortly. I need you to find someone there for me.”

“Who?”

“Kanan Jarrus. He was… Well, he knew your father, in a way.” Enarion smiled. “And, as fate shall have it, he’s part of the same group that Saw Gerrera called you from. I want you to earn his trust.”

“Why?” Lux asked, suspicious. “If it’s just to betray this Kanan Jarrus, then I–”

“No. It isn’t. I simply have a feeling that you’ll need that trust later on.” Then he turned away, and said, “I must go. There is much to do, and so little time to do it.”

Then the Force-ghost disappeared, leaving Lux to slowly make his way back to the New Jedi Temple. Jarrus. That name. Now where had he heard it before?

*Lux has had another visit from Enarion Dume. Who could this mysterious man be? And just who is this Kanan Jarrus he spoke of? What role will he play in the freedom of Onderon... If it can even be freed from the Empire? You'll fidn out in the next thrilling chapter of the Unchronicled Adventures Of Ahsoka Tano!

Hey guys! I hope that you're all starting to make guesses as to who Enarion really is... But I have like FOUR OTHER CHAPTERS ready, and I want to post them right away. Sorry about the wait, but I was pretty busy this week, and was unable to post anything, even though I kept writing.

Become a rebel against the Empire for your star system and may the Force be with you,

Sharron