my kind of beautiful | hajime iwaizumi fluff

a/n: this one is similar to one I've written before, but I have found a much better way to say it

prompt: Hajime and (Y/n)'s nice Valentine's Day gets a little side-tracked

warning: some insecurites

word count: 1874

.・-: ✧ :- second-person point of view -: ✧ :-・.

It began in the early hours of the morning when your doorbell rang during breakfast. You had not been expecting a y visitors, nor packages. How odd. You slowly slid off the chair and walked over to the front door. You peeked out the window to see the coast was clear, because no one was there. With some hesitancy, you opened the door. 

Before you could step out onto the porch, your foot bumped something solid. Swiftly, you withdrew your foot and looked down to find a vase filled with colorful flowers. For a brief moment, you were utterly perplexed. Then, you recalled two very relevant facts: you had a boyfriend and it was Valentine's Day.

What a strange concept this holiday was. Why was there one day of the year dedicated to showing your love to someone you have with you every other day of the year? Regardless of whether it was popularized by capitalists looking to comodify personal relationships or well intentioned folks hoping to provide people a reminder to apreshiate the ones you love, the holiday is not going anywhere. So why not try to enjoy it, just a bit?

You hauled the vase of flowers inside, kicking the door shut behind you. You displayed the bouquet on the kitchen counter proudly, gently combing through the stems to find some sort of note tucked away in the stalks. It was a small folded white card with a shimmery good barrier. Inside the note was a few poorly written lines.

I know I promised not to go all out this year like I did last year, but I just couldn't help myself. I got your favorites, I hope you like them. Also, we have plans tonight and I won't tell you what they are--it's a surprise. Love, Hajime.

A smile spread across your face. Though he had a rough and tough exterior, Hajime was a loving and gentle man. You made sure the vase of flowers could feel some rays of sunlight before you left for work. The day went by rather quickly, in a flurry of red and pink decorating the office. Perhaps at noon, you received a phonecall.

"Hey, Haj," You greeted the man on the other line enthusiastically. "Happy Valentine's Day! How are you?" He could hear the smile on your face and it warmed his heart.

"I'm good," He told you truthfully. "Did you get the flowers I sent you?" Hajime's ears were met with the sweet sound of your laughter through the phone.

"I did," You nodded your head, though he could not see. "That was very sweet of you, thank you." As you recalled the flowers, your mind conquered the image of the note he hand-wrote to you. "I know you said what we're going tonight is a surprise, but can I at least have a hint?"

"Wear something warm," Hajime said with a smirk lingering in his voice. "That's all I'm gonna give you." Again, you let out a light hearted chuckle. Hajime had always remarkably stringent when it came to surprises. You knew that was all you were going to get.