Chapter Nine

Claire and Sam both try to get into contact with me, but I ignore their calls. I know Sam is pissed at Claire, and I know Claire wants to talk about how Sam is pissed off at her. And I don't want to hear it. Besides, I have more important things to think about. Like, you know, the competition that I didn't want to enter, but was somewhat forced into. Since I'm not working for a week (Suzie is out of town doing some family thing), I spend my time trying to find the right piece, and when one doesn't jump out at me, I just pick one. I know I won't be able to play it with feeling, but if I practice enough then I might be able to play it with perfection. Then maybe, just maybe, I can make some kind of impression on the judges and the people from Juilliard. I spend three days in my room with nothing but the sound of my violin to keep me company. My mom comes in every so often to tell me how lovely I sound, but I can't stop myself from hearing the part of my music that's missing. It's so obvious to me that I don't understand how my mom can't hear it as well.

Playing the violin also keeps me from reliving the stupid thing I said to Conner on my way to take him to his motel room. He hasn't tried to make contact with me since. At first, I tell myself that it's because he doesn't have my phone number. But then I remember I gave my number to Wesley. So if he really wanted it, he could get it. Basically, I totally blew it. Just as I feared. Man, I don't know why I couldn't just keep my big fat mouth shut. Why I couldn't have just listened to his story. Why did I have to put in my two cents? I feel like a jerk. And an idiot. So I put all of my energy into the violin. What better distraction could I ask for, right?

On the third day of playing the violin almost nonstop, I decide to take a break and grab a bite to eat. This isn't, of course, my first break in the three days. But it is my first break today. And I know my mom just went to the grocery store the day before. So I put my violin down in the open case beside my bed and make my way downstairs. When I walk into the kitchen, I'm surprised to see a pretty redhead sitting at the table. I have no idea who she is, and I'm just about to open my mouth and ask her when I see my brother hand her a plate of something that smells and looks like stir fry. She grins at him, collects a bite with her fork, and stuffs it into her mouth. Then she gives him a thumbs up, and he smiles.

Oh my God. This is the girl. The mystery girl my brother was talking about. I shouldn't be here. I should give them their privacy. I'm just about to turn around and go back up to my room, deciding I'll get a snack later, when she spots me. Her eyes widen for a fraction of a second, and then they brighten up as she gets to her feet. My brother follows her gaze and sees me standing in the living room. He winces slightly, but he stands up too. And I know there's nothing else I can do. Their private moment is ruined and running away would be really rude. So I reluctantly enter the kitchen, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear nervously.

"Hi," the girl says sweetly. "You're Lauren, right?" I nod my head, and her smile widens. She holds out her hand. "Hi, Lauren. I'm Amanda. Your brother has told me a lot about you."

"Hello," I reply, shaking her hand. "It's nice to meet you. He's told us about you, too." I throw a quick glance at my brother, who looks paler than usual. It's obvious he was not intending for any of us to meet this girl for a while. "You're the one who's teaching him how to cook, right?"

She nods her head. "Well, I'm trying at least. He's been a challenging pupil, but I think he's finally getting it." She looks at him, and I see the same sparkle in her eyes that he had a few days before when he was cooking us breakfast. She winks at him, and he smiles.

"Well, whatever you're teaching him, please don't stop," I say. "He came over the other morning and cooked us breakfast. And it was de-li-cious!"

"Oh, that's great!" she says, and she claps her hands. "See, he always wants to go out to eat. But I go to the culinary school in Spokane, and I'd much rather cook the meals than spend the money, you know?" I nod my head. "And I've been showing him while I cook. Lately he's been helping me. Which is really sweet. I'm glad he's showing off his new skills for you guys!"