The Nature Of Jesus (Part Two)

As already stated in part one, Jesus holds three clear positions found in the Bible: Son of man, Son of God and God the Son. This is not say these are the only positions He holds; nonetheless, here is a brief description of the three.

As the Son of man, Jesus identifies with mankind and represents humanity to God.

As the Son of God, He represents God to mankind.

As God the Son, He is the cause of creation and is equal to the Father and the Holy Spirit. Each position carries different roles and authority.

Part one addressed Son of man, so now lets address Son of God, God the Son and then tie all three positions together at the end.

Son of God

Romans 1:3-4 Concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead.

Here we see the transition from Son of man to the Son of God, even though Jesus maintains all three positions at one time.

It's from His position as the Son of God that Jesus gives us new life as sons and daughters of God.

John 5: 25 – 26 Truly, truly, I say to you, He that hears My word, and believes on Him that sent Me, has everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death to life. Truly, truly, I say to you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live (Read Jn. 5:21-28 for full context).

If you recall in John 3:3, Jesus said, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” Born again means to born from above or anew. Since we identified with Jesus through baptism, His death became our death. That means God counts our old nature as dead (see Romans 6:3-7). At the same time, His resurrection is our resurrection as well, which means we move from being sons and daughters of man to being sons and daughters of God in Christ Jesus (see Romans 6:4-11).

Romans 8: 16 – 17 For you have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but you have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 16. The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: 17. And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

Here's the tradeoff: as the Son of man, Jesus took on our sins; however, as the Son of God He imparts His righteousness to us (see 2Cointhians 5:21).

This goes back to Matthew 3:15 where Jesus said, “Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becomes us to fulfill all righteousness,” when He was baptized of John (see “The Nature of Jesus [Part One]”).

Romans 8:29 calls Jesus the Firstborn among many brethren. That means Jesus is not only our Lord and Savior, He is our Brother. That means Jesus wants a relationship with you! It's not a dictatorship, even though He has every right to be a Dictator if He wanted to be. In the relationship, He does allow for choice and decisions on our part, and rewards us for our obedience. As the Son of God, Jesus is our High Priest (Hebrews 3:1-6) 1John. 3:8 tells us that as the Son of God, He came to destroy the works of the devil. 1John. 5:11-13 tells us that Jesus is our life, and those who have Jesus have life, which goes back to John 5:25-26.

Here's something to chew on: we are now sons and daughters of God and that means we too represent God to mankind. Hopefully, we represent Him well!

As the Son of God He is our Savior (see Acts 5:31; 1John 4:14-15). Philippians 3: 20 – 21 For our conversation (citizenship) is in heaven; from where also we look for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ: 21. Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like to His glorious body, according to the working whereby He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.

This is where things get really interesting because the word Savior is also used in conjunction with God. Thus, also showing Him as God the Son, which we will now discuss.

God the Son

In relation to Savior, consider the following passages of Scripture:1 Timothy 4: 10 For therefore we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, Who is the Savior of all men, specially of those that believe. Titus 2: 13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ (see also 1Timothy 1:1; 2:3;Titus 1:3-4; 3:4,6 and 2Peter 1:11).

Going back to the beginning, we find that Jesus was there with the Father and Holy Spirit during the creation. Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in Our image, after Our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. One of the keys to understanding the Bible is paying attention to the little words (of, in, by, etc.), as well as the singular and plural forms used in the verses. “Our” points to more than one person. God was not talking to Michael or Gabriel the Archangels. This was a conversation between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit (see also Genesis 1:1-3). John 1:1-3 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2. The same was in the beginning with God. 3. All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made (see John 1:4-18).

Tying it all Together

One of the reasons that Jesus continues as the Son of man is that He continues to represent those who are yet to be born and born again. Because of His eternal nature, Jesus was able to bear the sin of all mankind; (past, present and future) while on the Cross. 1 Timothy 2:5-6 For there is one God, and one Mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 6. Who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time. 2 Timothy 1:8-10 Be not you therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be you partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God; 9. Who has saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began, 10. But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death, and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.

Colossians 1:12-20 ties it together well: Giving thanks to the Father, which has made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: 13. Who has delivered us from the power of darkness, and has translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: 14. In Whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins (Son of man): 15. Who is the image of the invisible God (God the Son), the firstborn of every creature (Son of God): 16. For by Him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by Him, and for Him: 17. And he is before all things, and by Him all things consist (God the Son). 18. And He is the head of the body, the church: Who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence (Son of God). 19. For it pleased the Father that in Him should all fullness dwell (God the Son [see also Colossians 2:9]); 20. And, having made peace through the Blood of His Cross, by Him to reconcile all things to Himself (Son of man); by Him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

Hebrews 13: 8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

www.perfectfaith.org

The Perfect Faith Podcast: The Nature of Jesus (Part Two) / iTunes / Stitcher