Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

CHAPTER ONE,

WHERE RIVER MEETS SEA | ONE

"ARE YOU INSANE?"

  The words were spat out, rageful, filled with anger. But the girl's face was anything but. Daneira Pang ushered in the man through her backdoor, nothing but concern in her expression, clear as day even in the dark, starless night.

  He looked at her, a weak grin on his face. "For you, always, Danna dearest."

  She stared him dead in the face, her feet not slowing even the slightest. She'd always been an efficient woman. It was one of the many things he liked about her. "You're trying to get me killed. I swear it."

  Aleksandr Volkov shrugged as he was brought into the kitchen and lowered onto one of the chairs. "I was careful. No one saw me." He took the chance to glance around. Nothing had changed since the last time he'd been here. Orange walls, the white-tile cabinets and tables bordered with blue, the red stone on the ground. The tables were spotless and clean. As always.

  She took a step back and studied him, eyes dark and unreadable. "You've been attacked."

  "Nothing too bad," he assured her, "just some blunt damage. A few punches and kicks. They're having it worse."

  Danna rubbed her eyes, exhaustion showing. "I can't risk a doctor for you, you know that. You shouldn't be here at all."

  "Didn't have a choice. I came with a message."

  "Let's save that for later. Wait here. I'll bring you some clothes to change into—one of the agents left some behind, they're either dead now or trapped in the middle of somewhere—and get you up to bed. Then I'll give you the checkup you require and do not deserve."

  "Your bed?"

  Danna looked like she was about to punch him in the face. "Do not push your luck."

  "I wouldn't dream of it," he muttered, watching as she vanished down the corridor into the darkness of the rest of the house.

  It had been three years. Three years since they'd met, three years since Danna had come here to Melique, in the centre of her enemy's territory. In a world filled with soldiers and warriors more than equipped for this, Sai chose Danna Pang to do their dirtiest work.

  Somehow, she still lived.

  She returned, clothes in hand. "You shouldn't be here," she repeated, as if it was a chant she could rely on to keep her head steady and cool. But he could see the nervousness in her body, the tension, the crease of her brows. They'd never been able to lie to each other that well.

  When he didn't say anything, she continued on. "If my people realise I'm housing a Kozlov agent–"

  "Novokuluga and Sai are not at war."

  "They might be in a few years. And just because we're not at war does not mean we're buddy-buddies. The only thing keeping us neutral is the fact the Court of Bones is not fond of the Imperial Novokulugan Court either. You better pray nightly that it stays that way."

  They were both knives wielded by a nation. Aleks worked for the Kozlov Novokulugan government, the one that had broken away from the Imperial Court years ago and been at war since. And Danna was one of the top agents for the Empire of Sai. And she was right. If Sai joined the war, the Kozlov wouldn't be able to stand for long.

  "Change," she commanded, throwing the clothes into his outspread arms. His body throbbed with pain, but he didn't argue. She turned her back to pour some water into two glasses, placing one down in front of him. She didn't bother averting her eyes, but she didn't stare either.