About Ever After

At the corner of a bookstore, a head of pretty pink dyed hair poked between the shelves. In her hands rested a book filled with the author's imagination of magic – from sorcerers to powerful creatures. A fantasy novel beautifully wrapped in hardbound.

I want to be in this kind of world, she thought as her finger fiddled with the corner of the page she was reading, Then I could probably escape this hellhole.

With a sigh, she closed the book and stared at the cover.

Of Thorns Within.

An indie novel about a man, Ezekiel Montgomery, who would eventually rise up and become the most powerful warlock in the land. He would go through so many challenges, power struggles, and even romance. It had a happy ending though, that much was predictable.

He defeated the current Master of the Magic Tower, became the highest-ranking sorcerer, and had the love of his life at his side.

His humble beginnings was that of an orphan, abused by the poor system and society they lived in. He desperately tried to survive, taking care of his little sister along the way who was born without any magical powers as they picked up comrades along the way.

That must be nice, was the final words in her head before sliding that book back into the shelf.

She didn't have enough money to spare to buy any book but because it was just a small local bookstore, she easily befriended the owner and was allowed to sift through the books whenever she wanted. She made sure that everything was returned in tiptop condition.

"You're leaving already, Aria?" the owner asked, a kind woman who everyone treated like an older sister, "I thought you would be here for another hour."

When asked why she opened a bookstore as small as this one, she simply shrugged and claimed that all she wanted was a cozy little shop after years of being a corporate slave. Aria openly admitted that she was jealous of her, she wanted to leave her mundane job as well.

"I was just rereading one of my favorites," Aria shrugged, "Besides, I had a long day today so I think I prefer to lie down in my bed more than anything else."

The owner nodded in understanding, "So you were reading Of Thorns Within again?"

Aria laughed before humming in confirmation. She had lost count of how many times she went inside this store just to read through that book again. She heavily related to the main character, especially his past, so she felt some sort of connection.

And it gave her a small ounce of hope that she would also make it through her own hardships.

Or maybe one day she could quit and open a small shop of her own. All she wanted was to quit her job and get away from her ridiculous bosses and rude co-workers.

"Go get it," the owner said with a smile, "I'll give it to you as a present?"

"What?"

"You've been reading that thing over and over again, that book is practically yours at this point," she said with an amused tone, "One of the reasons why I opened this store is I love the look of people's faces when they get immersed in the story they're reading. Watching you be fascinated by the same book, no matter how many times you've read it, makes me happy so I'll let you have it for making me smile."

No wonder everybody in the neighborhood adored her.

"Well, I'm not going to reject that offer," Aria grinned, excitedly racing back to the shelf and plucking the book out again, "Thank you so much, Nissie!"

"Just promise you'll visit again," she waved her goodbye as Aria walked to the door, "I get bored easily if I don't have anyone to talk to."

Aria nodded, her pink hair swaying along to her movements, "Got it, see you!"