one

obsessive love disorder (OLD) is a condition in which one  feels an overwhelming obsessive desire to possess and protect another person, sometimes with an inability to accept failure or rejection.

present day, hackensack new jersey.

i wasn't exactly happy moving to hackensack. i had a life and friends back in arkansas. sounds shabby, trust me, i know. but it's not the place i left behind, it was the amazing people and memories i failed to cling on to.

basically, to sum it up, i haven't taken the move well. my mom says it was a healthy decision and was the best for all of us. healthy? i scoffed to myself,  how am i ever going to settle in here? not only does this creepy town have unsettling rumours and backstories, despite that, how am i going to make friends.

mom looked at me, she saw the look on my face.
"look y/n. okay, i guess i've overlooked your feelings a bit too much recently. in all honesty, i'm not the keenest on this move either, but i promise you will settle in."

i gave a weak smile.

"okay mom. i'll try my best to stay positive." then a thought hit my mind and i suddenly chirped up, "in fact, how 'bout i go unpack my stuff and get my room sorted up!" i beamed brightly, trying to cheer both me and my mom up by lightening the mood.

"oh no, don't worry about those boxes right now!" mom said. i looked back in confusion. "look tell you what, y/n. how about you go outside for a bit, try talk to people, really get to know the people here. who knows! you might even make a few friends while you're at it!"

i wanted to make a smart, snarky remark in response to her idea but bit my tongue and decided it was best to agree with her. i gave her a small smile and a wave off as i shut the door and walked out.

my mind was quite empty as i walked through the streets, nothing but passing by the same repeating house exteriors over and over. not that i was walking in circles, but damn, those houses looked all so similar to each other you'd think it got a bit boring having everyone's home look the same.

apart from that though, i walked silently. watching the orange yellow and brown leaves fall delicately to the ground, and listening to the crunching of the ones below me.

as i was walking past the endless trees and repeating houses i saw a small yard sale. honestly i didn't really want to go near it. i don't wanna say i'm antisocial, i'm not that extreme. i've just really quiet is all.

however i pushed away my internal screaming and walked over to the yard sale when i saw a boy around my age. he seemed to be talking to the woman at the desk, holding something, but i couldn't see what exactly. so i got a closer look. 

now, i was right behind the boy, and i could hear and see what he was holding. it was a good guy doll! god, my mom used to talk about her dolls all the time. she basically schooled me on every good guy doll fact EVER.

"20 bucks for that sound fair?" the woman said to the boy as it snapped me out of my thoughts. "20 bucks..?" he said with a look. "well it's gotta be worth 20 bucks right?" they went on about where it came from for a few minutes, "what's the difference between vintage and retro?"  she said as i was once again snapped out of my thoughts. "about ten bucks." "fair enough" she said with a small giggle and sold the boy the doll.

as he was turning around, he almost walked into me. "WOAH, there!" he exclaimed as he almost tripped over me and himself. "sorry, didn't mean to get in your way." i said quietly as i looked down. god, not another bad impression i am PRAYING. "no, no. it's fine. anyways hey! i don't think i've seen your face around here before. are you new?" "yeah, my and my parents just moved here from arkansas" i said. "ARKANSAS?" he said as he giggled discreetly. "must've been a good choice moving here then huh?" he jokingly asked. i kinda giggled but then felt sadness wash over me as i remembered my friends once more. "actually, i don't have any friends here yet, honestly? i'm terrified for school. i'm guessing they don't take well to newcomers here." i griped. "well i'm not too big on the popularity status myself, but you're always welcome to come hang around with me once you come to school." he sweetly smiled and i smiled back "yeah that sounds great...uh..." "jake. jake wheeler" he said and shook my hand. "y/n. y/n l/n." as we broke the handshake "well then y/n, i'll see you on monday at school." he waved. "see you jake" i waved him off as i watched him walk away, good guy in hand.

wow. now that wasn't so bad. you did a small fist pump in the air with your success of making your first friend here in hackensack, before you succumbed to your realisation that you were still in public at the yard sale. you slowly put your hand back in to your pockets before walking off whistling.

jake. jake wheeler. i can tell we're going to be besties.