three

present day, 10:41pm

it was a late night. the sky was dark, the air was crisp. perfect for a small walk around town, still really taking in the surroundings.

as you walked by once again all the same exteriors, nothing new. something new did catch your eye. there was a lot of commotion and hubbub crowded around- hey, wasn't that jake's house?

it was. you were about to run into the house but as you were nearing close enough you saw a lifeless corpse being carried away on a stretcher, in a body bag.

oh no. "JAKE!" you screamed, almost tearing up. your sniffles were stifled as you then saw him in the front doorway, accompanied by devon's mom, ms evans. you ran up immediately barging through the small barricade and engulfing jake in a hug. "oh jake, i thought something had happened to you!" you sniffled into his shoulder. "i'm okay, y/n" he said in response but he didn't seem so happy himself. it didn't take too long for you to realise what must've happened by piecing together bit by bit. your eyes widened and his big brown eyes, glistened with a layer of tears said all they needed to as you engulfed him in a hug. you both stayed there for a while in that position, neither of you having any idea of what to say or do. your act of comfort was soon cut short as ms evans cleared her throat, then gave jake a knowing look in which he returned. she then in turn gave you a look, it wasn't meant to be a rude one but her signalling for you to give them space sure didn't seem like the nicest thing. couldn't she have compassion? you didn't have the guts to say that though. however, you did stand your ground and stood there, patiently waiting for her to say whatever she had to say. "look miss..." ms evans started, "y/n." you said back almost coldly. "..y/n. i appreciate and acknowledge that jake here must be a very good friend of yours, however not only is this a private and sad matter, there is currently questioning going on at the moment. i must ask you to give us privacy." she swiftly said. "questioning?? what? why?" you asked a flurry of questions at once before your eyes widened slowly. "no...there's no way you're questioning-"you tried to say before you were once again interrupted by ms evans clearing her throat. she then turned on her heels before walking back into the house with jake and muttering something to him, which he gave a small nod in response to, then she began walking away, just as the ambulance with the body bag drove away too. she got in her car before giving a wave to the both of you, and jake came to stand behind you in the front doorway. you both watched as she drove away and then you turned to him giving him an almost eyebrow raise. you didn't want to make yourself seem nosy and intrusive but still wanted to make sure he was ok nonetheless. jake explained the whole situation, including his fathers abusive behaviour and alcohol addiction. you didn't have to say anything but sit and listen painfully as jake told you what had been going on the whole time. you rested a hand on his arm as he concluded that he was now going to be staying with his aunt, uncle and cousin, junior. jakes uncle, briefly interrupted for a short moment, telling him to pack and get ready. jake said that he had already packed his stuff, before looking at you and he asked you something really unexpected.

"y/n, will you come stay with us too for a while? please?" you shot a glance at jakes uncle before jake did the same, adding that you could sleep in his room, on another single bed. jakes aunt, bree heard what he was saying as she came and rested her head on logan's shoulder, speaking up. "well, if it would help you settle in more and make you feel better...then yes, y/n can stay with us. she said sweetly and softly, smiling at you. "oh! pardon me, only if y/n's parents are okay with it, of course!" she added quickly. jake turned back and looked at you, almost pleadingly. you let him, and the wheelers that your mom would be completely fine with it, before sending her a small text telling her where your whereabouts would be for the next few or so days.

with that, you smiled at the wheelers and gave them a small nod. letting them know everything was sorted now. they nodded back and started walking to their car, you and jake walking behind them as you got in the car shortly after. the drive to the wheeler's estate wasn't too long, but the atmosphere in the car was still sad and melancholy. not that there wouldn't be a reason for it, but you were still nervous as to what the wheeler's first impression of you had to have been. it wasn't long before your intrusive anxious thoughts had engulfed you for a short period of time, because you had already arrived at the wheeler's house. you, jake, bree and logan all got out of the car and began entering the house. as you did so, you saw those same deep, dark brown orbs from before staring you down. once again becoming prey to those eyes that seemed so intimidating. his eyes scanned you and jake quickly, before locking straight onto yours, almost looking straight through you. you know, eyes really can tell you a lot about a person. his however, seemed to trap you. like a dog in a cage, a prison cell. you could've sworn you saw him smile at you for a very, very short second. before he turned quick on his heels and walked to where you assumed was his room.

jake shrugged it off and told you to do the same. bree and logan didn't bother you much before letting you and jake go up to your newly shared room. "jake." you spoke softly. he was currently fixing his bed, fluffing his pillow and setting the good guy doll on the bedside table. god, it's so easy to forget he has that with him. he turned around, looking at you. "jake, i think junior really hates me." jake in return laughed, a little louder than he should have actually. "y/n, i told you not to mind him. he's like that with everyone." he comforted, still giggling a little. his loudness gaining the unwanted attention of someone on the other side of the door, listening quietly. "but he looks at me weird. i can't tell what it is, or what vibe he's giving off. it's really scary, he must actually despise me!" jake once again laughed.

"oh no. quite the opposite actually..." someone on the other side of the door thought to themself.

see you soon y/n. i can't wait to get to know you properly.

you heard scuffling away from the door as you perked up instantly, going to open the door. jake watching you curiously. to your dismay there's nothing there in the hallway. jake just raised an eyebrow asking if you were okay.

"yeah, i think i just need to sleep."
"your cousin staring me down like that must just have really put me on edge."