Chapter 29 - Located

Adomis;

It only took two hours for us to reach the mountain range we had set out to find and once we landed both Zarkin and I set off on foot to follow the map to Ivy's exact location.

We were close now, but this space was quite large and we were quickly running out of time. The sun was due to set in less than two hour's time.

As we walked along the rocky terrain I couldn't get thoughts of the four mysterious amulets out of my head. The ultimate power that they possess. And out of curiosity I decided to just come out and ask him.

"Haven't you ever thought of uniting all four amulets yourself?" I asked him with intrigue as we continue along. "I mean, think of all that power... don't tell me it's never once crossed your mind?"

"I won't lie...." Zarkin replied. 

"The thought has crossed my mind once or twice in the past. But luckily, I'm wise enough to know that it's not my place."

"Your place?" my left brow rises in question.

"No one man should ever possess such an incredible amount of power. I have learnt the hard way what that kind of power can do to anyone. Power of that magnitude... it easily corrupts, my lord. Like an addiction, you require more and more over time. It never ends well."

"Fair enough." I agreed.

It was in that moment that I came to admire my mage, Zarkin just a little bit more than I had before. I admired his honesty and his beliefs. It was clear that this man has a good heart, and I was glad that he was on my side in all of this.

My eyes suddenly flicked across upon noticing a faint glow coming from what I assumed to be a flame torch off in the distance.

We were not alone.

My hand shot out and grabbed Zarkin by his shoulder. My other pointer finger immediately raised to my lips as our gazes met; I was signalling that Zarkin should remain silent for the time being. We didn't want to spook whoever it was.

He nodded silently in response.

The Mage and I continued to creep in closer towards the brightening flames of the torch, hiding in the shadows of the surrounding trees and rock formations.

I popped my head out for a moment and saw the two figures who appeared to be standing guard by an entrance into some kind of cavern buried deep within the mountain side.

What were they guarding all the way out here? If the map we have been following is correct, I know exactly what they are guarding, or rather whom.

I turn to face Zarkin and speak in barely a whisper.

"I'll take out the guards and then we head into the cavern. We locate Ivy and get her out of there. Understood?"

"What if she's not in there, sire?" he questions.

"She's in there. I have no doubt whatsoever." I assure him.

Zarkin nods to show he has understood.

I turn back to face the guards and prepare myself for what I need to do. It's time for me to get my hands dirty.

It takes a matter of seconds for me to surprise and knock out both of the guards, one by one. I stand over the second one as Zarkin finally decides to step out and join me. His expression seems to show bewilderment at what I had just done.

"Come on." I command, already jogging in through the cavern's entrance with one of the flame torches in hand.

Zarkin grabs the other torch and follows me inside.