Chapter 11

Earth date: 10/25/11, 16:51

I have a hard time describing the sound I heard in the Faukan's last moments. It's easier to write it: BOOOOOOOOOOONG! It was a resonant sound, like how a gong resonates after it's been hit. 

Something that wasn't quite flames caught the Faukan in midair. The Faukan sailed sideways. I whirled around to follow the source. The homeless man had pushed past Joey and Jay, and now not-flames burst from his eyes, focused on the Faukan. As quickly as it had started, it was over. The homeless man cut off the energy stream, exposing his face. He had no eyeballs, and his empty eye sockets burned with the fiery energy he'd blasted the Faukan with.

"Flaming Eye Guy!" Frazz yelled.

The homeless man looked Frazz's way. "Yes."

"You're the guy from the woods?" Kristi said.

"How?" Jay said.

"Irrelevant," the homeless man said. "When I'm ready, we'll talk." The homeless man turned to resume pushing his cart. 

"Hey, wait a minute!" Jay said. He held out a hand to stop him. 

The homeless man split in half.

"Ah!" Jay said.

The homeless man's torso split off of his waist. It floated over Jay's outstretched arm and landed back on his legs, which had continued walking unimpeded. He resumed pushing his cart until he was out of sight.

"We probably should have grabbed him," Max said.

"If you wanted to go after him after he did that..." Jay clapped his hands together and then abruptly pulled them apart. "...you'd be doing it without me helping you."

"Guys?" Daphne said. "The stairs."

I looked that way right as I winced at the smell of burning meat.

The homeless man's attack had landed the Faukan on the subway stairs. The Faukan was gone. There was bubbling blue goo running down the stairs that I assumed was the remains of the Faukan. More than that, the stairs were destroyed. The turnstile had vaporized into trails of molten slag, burning through the tiles of the subway station. A crater as big as an ATV had been punched into the stairs, and smoke rose from a mixture of melted concrete and molten metal. 

There were footsteps, and two police officers in full SWAT gear came halfway down the stairs. "What's your status?" one of them asked. Both of them stopped as they took in the scene. 

"What the hell?" the other officer said. 

Joey put his shield on his back and walked through the hole in the turnstile. The officers met him halfway, carefully stepping around the crater in the stairs. 

"Did you take care of the monster?" the first officer said.

"You're standing in him," Frazz said. The officers looked down, saw the blue glop running down the stairs, and moved back up the stairs, out of the goo.

"Did he do that, or was that you guys?" the second officer said, motioning to the crater in the stairs. 

Joey hesitated before he nodded over his shoulder at me. "We fought it with firepower."