Chapter 2

One day ago...

I awkwardly scrolled through my phone in the Uber on the way to the hotel. I made sure that my location was shared with my friend, Julia back home,  just in case this ride were to end up on the 5 o'clock news. I have always been cautious around strangers and maybe that's due to the lack of city exposure I have had and the excess of true crime podcasts I consume. 

About a month ago, I got sucked into a scam. I was in Bass Pro Shops admiring their fish tank display when a salesman approached me asking if I would be interested in a 4 day, 3 night trip for $179. I looked at him skeptical and asked him what the catch was. Of course it was for a time share. He told me that all I would have to do is sit through a 2 hour presentation and I would get the trip for less than $200 and a $50 Visa gift card. Weighing my options, it seemed like a fair trade. I had sat through many 2 hour lectures before. What made this one any different? Besides, I was not really interested in buying a time share so this was the perfect opportunity for me to stick it to the man!

I looked at all the locations the time share company let me choose from. I did not expect much from a company advertising their properties at a store that sells headlamps and hunting rifles. Out of all the properties listed on their website, I was surprised to find Santa Barbara on their list. It seemed the nicest and I was determined to get my money's worth from this trip. 

The car slowed to a stop in front of a beautiful, white stucco hotel with grand archways and a gorgeous three tier fountain that greeted their guests. I quickly grabbed my bags and thanked the driver on my way out. Juggling all of my belongings in my arms, I made my way to the revolving doors of the hotel and was amazed even further at the interior. The expertly designed lobby immediately made me feel relaxed in the environment I am meant to spend the next 4 days in. The open air lobby allowed for the salty sea air to flow in and engulf the arid-themed, minimalist furniture. I located the receptionist and plopped my bags in front of her desk. 

"Hello and welcome to Costal Vista, are you here to check in?" The receptionist  asked. 

"Hi, yes. There should be a reservation under Jessica Black, " I replied with a smile.

"Perfect, I see you right here. You're set up in room 523 which has a lovely ocean view and a balcony. I also see that you are a part of the time share program. The program is scheduled for 11 am so once you get settled and refreshed, you can make your way to the Pearl Conference room across from the bar. You'll be with Mr. Richard Kemper today and he will take great care of you. Here is your access key and check out is at noon. Please let me or any of the staff know if you need anything during your stay here at Costal Vista." She handed me my key after finishing her well-rehearsed spiel. I collected my belongings before giving her a farewell smile and thanks and headed to my room. 

When I the elevator reached the 5th floor, I was about ready to collapse on the bed in my room. I was exhausted from my flight. It was only 10:15 am in California time but switching time zones from east to west made time not feel real. It did not help that flying 5 hours took a lot of energy out of me. Opening the door to my room, I was greeted with the pleasant scent of patchouli and sandalwood. The room they gave me was furnished with decor and furniture that matched the theme of the hotel lobby. It was a lot nicer than your standard hotel room equipped with a king bed, kitchen area, shower, and garden bathtub. I laid down on the bed and immediately felt the urge to sleep for 10 years. But of course, my hibernation would have to wait. I committed to a 2 hour seminar on why I should poorly invest my money on a property I would rarely stay at. 

I mustered up all the strength I could and dragged my physical form back down to the lobby to meet this Richard guy. I remind myself that I am practicing my confrontational skills once he tries to get me to sign on. I needed to solidify my decision beforehand so I do not cave under pressure when I am seduced by the free fresh baked cookies they'll give me. 

I walked over to the Pearl Conference room and saw about a dozen other people who got sucked into this ordeal. I had no issue finding Richard once in the room. He was basically at the threshold waiting for me. Richard was a handsome man who unfortunatly gave off the vibes of sleazy car salesman/creepy uncle and was was one good sale away from being able to afford couples therapy with his soon to be ex-wife. 

"You must be Jessica! It's great to meet you." Richard outstretched his hand and firmly shook mine. His energy screamed I am overly friendly because I want your money. "I am Richard Kemper, you can call me Richard. How was your travels? You came a long way from home to come see us."

"Hi Richard, it was great. I've been up since 5 am North Carolina time, but it's been great, " I tell him almost a little too sarcastically. 

"That is way too early for my tastes," he gives me a good chuckle and steps out of the way motioning me to head toward the projector and seats. "Let's find our seats and get started." 

The next hour and a half of my life consisted of a 45 page slide show of different places I could visit with my nonexistant husband and two kids. This fantasy world that they showcased included me relaxing in a spa while my husband played golf and my children ran around the hotel pool unsupervised, terrorizing the other guests (but they were allowed to do that because we owned a time share). I zoned out after slide 20 and it wasn't until the lights in the conference room came back on that I was revived from deep within my meditative state. 

"Wasn't that just a treat? How about we get you to fill out some forms for us and take a tour of the premises so you know exactly what you could have if you decide to join us?" Richard was facing me with an overly enthusiastic smile on his face and I was too tired and too annoyed at this point to pretend to keep this up. 

"Look Richard. I'm just here for the cookies and the cheap vacation. I'm sure it's a really great deal but I haven't been sold."

"That is a-okay! But you would be missing out on so much. It really is a great deal if you do sign up with us. Not only would you be able to come back to this location, but you can always pick another one that we own to stay at as well." Richard started to herd me off into the next room where the other suckers were being persuaded to sign forms. 

"No," I said standing my ground. "I played your game, watched the slideshow. I don't want to be coerced into a bad investment. I just want the $50 gift card you guys promised and to go back to my room and take a fat ass nap," I said bluntly.

Richard stared back in shock as if I was the first person to be rude to him in this business. He changed his expression from one of excitement to one of disgust. "I see." He focused his gaze away from me and to a gorgeous man in a suit with perfectly tousled hair that just walked into the room and interrupted my rejection. This man clearly saw that Richard was busy and patiently waited for us to sort out our business before interrupting further.

Richard turned to me and said, "Well the ladies at the front desk can help you with that. It was lovely meeting you Jessica. If you change you mind, here's my business card." He handed me his card and led me into the lobby to settle things with the front desk. "If you'll excuse me," he said and walked back to his handsome friend leaving me free from the time share commitment.