Free Deviants | Ch.1

I walk down the cold, snowy streets of Detroit. We won. Markus successfully led the Android Revolution, and there are already some people who support the idea that androids are more than we seem.

       In a sense, I feel horrible for what I did. I was so close to stopping the revolution. We never would have won and androids would never have the chance to gain their rights. Going to Cyberlife to free all of the androids there may have helped, perhaps have even been the tipping point for the win, but a part of me feels as if it isn't enough.

       Shaking my head, I focus on meeting up with Hank at the Chicken Feed. We agreed to meet up there once everything was over and done with.

       The snow starts to fall lighter, and I can make out Hank's silhouette in the distance. I approach him and stop once he turns to me. Giving a small smile, I start walking forwards again. To think, he had almost died a mere hour or so ago...

       He starts forward as well, meeting me with a smile before he pulls me into a hug, which I gladly return.

       "So, how's it feel to be a free man?" He questions, pulling away and giving me a proud look.

       I smile, glancing off to the side. As I think everything over, my smile slightly drops. "Well... Hank, I-" I cut myself off, frowning lightly at the sidewalk. It's... weird. To suddenly be free. To be deviant. To disobey your orders and your creators after having spent your time, since you were created, following orders, being a machine.

       Hank frowns as well, putting a hand to my shoulder. "Connor, you okay?"

       Switching my gaze up to meet his concerned one, I shake my head subtly. "It's just... I'm- free, as you said... but... I don't know how-" Again, I look down, feeling worry wash over me. It startles me slightly. Actually having the ability to understand and feel, it's not something I'm used to. And I wonder how I ever will adjust. "...Everything is just... new... overwhelming..."

       Hank nods, signaling I don't have to say anything else. He understands what I'm trying to say. "Yeah, it's confusing, I imagine. It won't get any easier from here," he warns, meeting my eyes, "But, that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I'm proud of you, son."

       He pats my shoulder, turning and walking towards his car that is parked on the other side of the street. I stare after him, confused, worried, and happy at the same time. "Lieutenant?"

       "You can crash at my place for now. Since you ain't got anywhere else to go."

       I quickly catch up with him at the vehicle, and give him a grateful smile. "Thank you, Lieutenant."

       He nods, then stops and points at me. "Jeez, kid, call me Hank."

       "Of course, Hank."

       He smiles, climbing in and driving us both to his house.

       As soon as we step inside, Sumo happily trots over, giving a single bark and wagging his tail. I smile, kneeling down to pet him as Hank steps around me and goes to sit down.

       I look up, and give Sumo's head a final pat before sitting on the couch. "Hank... What do I do now?"

       He glances away from the television, thinking for a moment. "Well, you gotta get a job, first of all. What do you wanna do for work?"

       The more thought I put into it, the more I still want to be a detective at the DPD. "Do you think they'd still let me work with you..?"

       He scratches his beard, nodding slightly. "Yeah, I think they would. You ain't done anything wrong, so, I'd think they would." Leaning further back into his seat, he flicked through the channels until he stopped on one that was playing reruns of his favorite team playing basketball. "Life isn't just work though. You need to experience other things too."