𝑣𝑖𝑖. 𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑠𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛

[ 0007

[ 0007. chapter seven ]
*:. enjoy the meal .:*

vii.

Spider-Man never visited that night.

            Or, well, he did... but he didn't exactly visit Elijah.

            All it took was an hour-long break from scrolling through the files on his laptop for the mystery man to deliver a pizza to Elijah's window with a prompt note attached to it, swinging off into the night before his recipient could see. When Elijah came back from eating dinner with his family—some restaurant in Greenwich Village—he was disappointed, to say the least.

            He abandoned plans with his best friend for the web-slinging hero, just for him to channel his inner DoorDash driver and drop a meal off without another word. Admittedly, it was kind of Elijah's fault for not making it clear that he wanted to see him again and not just a pizza. And it was definitely his fault for not figuring out a way to contact him.

            With the pizza now set atop his desk, he sat on the edge of his bed to read the note left for him. It disheartened him that he couldn't remember the boy's voice well enough to hear it in his thoughts, but he supposed it was just another consequence of having a chance encounter with a superhero.

            He's probably busy saving lives, he reminded himself, though it didn't ease his anxiety.

Before he set to reading the note, he glanced over at his laptop. Specifically, he focused on the drive still plugged into it. Here he was with an entirely too big secret on his laptop and no way of letting the most important person in the world know. The weight on his shoulders refused to leave. I wouldn't wish this on anybody.

            Elijah sighed at the thought and forced his eyes to look at the note.

Hope you enjoy the meal. Sorry I couldn't join.

He had to fight the urge to go running out in the streets to look for the man that refused to leave his mind, simply because he was sure doing so would only cause him more trouble.

            With a groan, he fell back onto his bed, irritation seeping into his veins.

            I've never felt more useless in my life.

            There was only one option he had at this point: Waiting it out. If he tried to cause a huge commotion to get the attention of Spider-Man, it would probably make the entire situation worse and could possibly put him and his family in harm's way. So, the safest and smartest option would be to sit on his ass and do nothing.