001. midnight memories

❝ it's so good! caffeine, it's how i stay alive. ❞

CHAPTER ONE!midnight memories

CHAPTER ONE!
midnight memories.
tw: murder, gore
unedited

tw: murder, goreunedited

   DEATH WAS INEVITABLE. People lived, people died. It was the cycle of life. Everybody knew that, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't hurt when somebody you know and love slip away into thin air, never to be seen again. That was unless the afterlife was a place where you could see your loved ones again after years. Death was an endless routine, no one won. You couldn't cheat death in the end, it just took what it wanted and established misery and grief.

   Two families in Fulton, Missouri were feeling this misery and grief. Two teenagers, one boy and one girl, had been brutally murdered over the last two weeks. School had just started and tragedy had already struck.

Mason McClain was the first victim. He was seventeen and a junior, he went to school with Jayla Schultz and had since kindergarten. He never talked to her but he started the rumor's that she was just like her brother. He said she brought knives and other small weapons to school. Obviously, it wasn't true. The girl was just a reserved night owl who never got much sleep. Mason had two younger siblings and his parents were divorced; his mom had cheated.

The second victim was Cecilia Doherty, a sophomore, freshly sixteen with a new car and license. The family had already appeared on news stations. Cecilia, Cece to her friends, had an older sister and her parents were together. Both of the teens were found in the same alleyway between two deserted buildings and were only found because of an addict.

   Jayla Schultz had read these articles online in their bed at two in the morning. Her anxiety meds caused them to not sleep very often, full nights happened rarely. She would fall asleep around ten and wake up a few hours later, only to toss and turn for minutes before deciding to stay awake. She scrolled through the articles on her computer, making little notes in a Google Document about the situation until the morning rolled around.

An alarm from her phone went off, the girl immediately turning it off so they wouldn't wake their father or brother sleeping in the rooms down the hall. It was seven-ten, the time she normally would get up for school. They swung their legs over the side of her bed, closing her laptop and pushing it to the side. Jayla found a sweater and a pair of blue jeans, carelessly throwing on the outfit before staring at herself in the bathroom mirror.