Chapter 14: Infernodynamics (Part 2)

The inhumans were with Robbie, they were going to do recon up ahead. I watched through Robbie's camera, Elena had just went through the tunnel to look around. Suddenly, she burst out with fire blazing from her arm.

"Yo- Yo!" Daisy ran towards her and put the fire out.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." She replied.

"Let's get you patched up back at the van."

I heard Daisy climb into the van and I nodded at her.

"Anything?" She asked.

"No. The feed is damaged and going through the fire probably didn't help."

"Oh. Look. It's clearing up."

"What is that?" I pointed at the glowing box in the middle of a heated area.

"Uh, not sure, sir." Fitz replied through the coms.

"Okay." I replied.

I turned my com off and motioned at Daisy to do the same.

"You okay?" I rubbed her shoulder.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm good. Are you okay?"

"Uh, yeah. I mean- the last few days have been a rollercoaster compared to before." I smiled, "You're getting a sister."

She smiled, "Yeah, it's nice. It's new." Her eyes softened, "I'm sorry I left."

"It's fine. We both knew why you did."

"You did?"

"Yeah, we've lost people in the past. We both had different coping techniques. Melinda went back in the field after I died. And I shut myself off from everyone except Melinda when my mom died."

"I- What happened with you parents?"

I took a deep breath, "My dad has an accident. I was about 9 years old." I looked down, "My mom had cancer. She died about a year after you were born."

"I was a mess after that. I forgot where I kept my things and forgot to check up on you once in a while."

"A few months after that we lost you." I looked back at her, "You know what happened after that."

"Yeah."

——————————————-

I quaked myself into the sky as I felt myself suffocating in the tiny area.

Taking deep breaths as I fell, I touched the ground. Instantly faced my hungry reporters and cameras flashing in my face.

"Is that quake?" "Was SHIELD lying?" "Have you been the whole time?"

I kept my mouth shut and stood up with a groan.

Reported crowded around me as I felt myself become tiny.

Dad noticed me and ran over to me, "Agent Johnson doesn't have to speak to any of you." He told the reporters.

I looked up at him and nodded, "Let's go, Layla."

He gently pulled me out of the roaring crowd.

"I- sorry. I felt myself suffocate inside so I came outside. I never thought- I didn't think-"

"Shh, come here." He pulled me into a warm hug.

"I missed you."

"Me too."

"Now, come on. Your mom's waiting."

"Daisy! I have something for you."

I raised an eyebrow at Simmons, "Your own lanyard!"

I took the handed badge and raised an eyebrow, "Level Blue? What is that?"

"We have no idea." Fitz replied.

May smiled.

                                ——————

I laid out the Chinese takeout on the area between me and Melinda.

"It's no Haig. But it's good enough."

"Hey, 5 more months and you can have the Haig."

May laughed, "Here's to us." She help her glass of water up.

"Here's to us." I repeated.

I slightly frowned as I looked back at her.

I know her smile and that's not her.