Chapter 35: Travel

[Dorothy's POV]

Coarse black hair like the darkest night. They looked like his hands ran them in one too many times, and yet somehow, it achieved the perfect style that went nicely with his face. Sun-kissed skin from working under the sun. Pale pink lips and striking eyes of blue like the ocean, framing his chiseled cheeks and thin pinkish lips.

I wondered what his lips tasted like.

I sighed in bliss as I watched Michael beside me.

He was so dreamy even he was just sitting inside the wooden carriage while his father, or whoever he was, was leading the horse towards Roselake town.

I didn't know what we were supposed to do. Trinity and Michael were planning something, and I was too occupied with Michael's smile to even care what it was.

It didn't matter. I just had to follow Trinity's orders to maintain my appearance and make sure to seduce Michael before he claimed the Saintess's position.

I had always been a simple girl with simple dreams.

Kya!

Michael and my eyes locked, and he gave me his most prized dimpled smile.

"Uhm . . . could you not stare too much?"

"Kya!" did he just talk to me? I palmed my heated face and looked to the other side. Could it be that he was going to propose to me now?

Trinity threw me a dead stare. "Stop daydreaming and wipe your saliva."

Eh? I blinked and touched my chin. It was kind of wet, and I immediately wiped it off. How embarrassing!

Michael didn't say it, right?

I took a peek at his handsome face and found that his attention was now on Trinity. They were back to whatever they were discussing.

I breathed easy. I composed myself, but Michael always stole my attention no matter how hard I tried to focus on the conversation. It was like my eyes were magnetic towards him.

I still couldn't believe that this was happening! Trinity was really a goddess sent by my prayers! Because of her, my appearance changed, and I got to be with the man I love.

"Is she going to be okay?" Michael asked.

Trinity answered with a voice that couldn't be bothered, "Don't mind her. You'll get used to it."

Michael threw me another look before he said, "Is it alright for you two to leave Madam Bertud's house? Isn't she going to search for you?"

Michael already knew that I was Dorothy, but that didn't bother me since I was beautiful before. But now, I was probably the prettiest girl he had ever seen! I was confident he would ask my hand in marriage one of these days.

"Don't worry. We left a letter and bags of coins. As long as she was paid a hefty amount of gil, she wouldn't care if we disappear." Trinity shrugged. "Besides, with a rag-tag village like that, it was common for girls our age to leave our house and explore the towns to try our luck."

"Hmm . . ." Michael shifted his eyes between Trinity and me, and I retracted my gaze when he caught me staring. "I guess that's true. And with your appearance changed, I doubt she'd even recognize you two."

Michael huffed a sigh. "Witches are really handy."

Trinity's lips down curved into a scowl. "I'm not your personal spell caster nor portion maker. Got that?"

"Right. Right." Michael laughed. "You two are my friends who are going to help me claim my rightful place and marry the girl I love."

Michael winked at me, and my heart leaped to my mouth. I almost passed out from the surge of blood and rapid palpitations. I looked away and covered my bleeding nose.

Trinity rolled her eyes at me, but I didn't care. You don't just receive a wink from THE Michael, alright?!

But anyway, the girl he loves that he kept talking about. I was confident that I could beat her. I pressed my chest forward. With this appearance, I had no doubt.

"You've grown cat ears again."

"Eh?" my head spun at Trinity before I scrambled for my compact.

True enough, my ears were growing furs again. I yelped and immediately covered my head with my hood.

Michael laughed, and I felt my face burn.

"Can you do something about this?" I hissed.

Trinity gave me an elegant half-shrug. "Unless you remember what you put on your face and their exact dosage, I'm afraid you'll have to stay like that."

"For how long?"

Trinity looked over the ceiling. "Hmm . . . maybe months or years."

"Years?" I shrieked and jumped to my feet. Then I realized my mistake. Michael couldn't see my village, commoner-like attitude. If I wanted to compete with that noblewoman, I had to be like her or more than her.

I coughed and composed myself. I sat on the wooden chair and crossed my legs. "Well . . . it's not like I'm in a hurry or anything. But it will save us a lot of trouble in the future if you could cure it now."

Trinity rolled her eyes. "I'm working on it, but at the moment, you have to wait, your highness."

I ignored her sarcasm and hid my appearance from Michael, checking myself on my compact powder. I rubbed the furs on my ears and lamented. How long will it last this time?

Purrr . . . a low purr rumbled in my throat when I rubbed the softness of the fur. They're kind of cute, though, and the furs were soft.

"Are you sure she'd be alright?" Michael asked. I was happy that he was concerned for me and all, but I would be happier if he just forgot the whole cat ears thing.

Trinity raised a brow. "If you're asking if she'd be a hindrance in our mission because of her unstable appearance, then yes."

"Eh?" I looked at Trinity, wide eyes.

"But I can't just leave her either."

I looked at Trinity with watery eyes. "Trinity . . ." I was touched. I was wrong about her. She was nice all along.

"She'd be useful," she said and looked at me with a smirk. "I hope."

". . ." Is that it? Was my existence measured by how useful I was now?

I bat an eyelid at her. "Oh, I'll be useful, alright. Isn't that what I promised you?"

Trinity nodded and beamed. "That's why from now on, you'll do combat training and history lessons every day."

". . . Egh?"