[ Forgotten Memories - 3 ]

6 months have passed since I last saw him. I recall everything that happened the last day I saw him... I have been unable to forget him, my heart yearning for his return. The emotional wounds are open as his memory haunts me.

As I lay on my bed I stared into the box across me which had the ring inside. It was in the same place as the night I received it. I did not want to touch it, as it was too precious to be stained with my dirty hands. Long hours of work caused my hands to become dirty... they were no longer as soft as they were when I was younger. Such dirty hands should never touch the ring so that it does not become tainted. The memory the ring holds should never be tainted and impure...

-Timeskip-

I know time has passed, but I cannot figure out the quantity... Time feels like it has gone by so slow yet so fast. It seems as if my perception of time has become distorted, I can no longer remember his face. Every time I try to recall his face it becomes distorted and different as time passes by. I know what his features look like, but I just don't know how to put the picture together of his face with memory. It is becoming more painful and difficult to think of him, I eagerly await his return.

The revolution has ended they say, as the reign of terror has finished. The tension has died down and the people are somewhat pleased with the outcome... but at what cost? Blood was shed on these inadequate lands and thousands of lives were destroyed. The revolution had separated me from my love and I would rather live in misery and be happy than live this present moment miserable and live a slightly better life.

People are still executed by guillotine and people still watch it eagerly. They eat and knit, they laugh and they scream, they cry as someone is being beheaded. They act like wild animals so much so that they seem no longer human... They are beasts in disguise. I can still recall when I witnessed an event, there were crowds of people, some who ate, women who knitted, and others who would chant for the blood of our enemies to be shed on the lands of France. The blade dropped on the person who was positioned below it. Slice... The head fell to the wooden boards and the screaming became louder... The screams were of excitement and joy.

Thinking back on that memory, I wish that the revolution had never occurred. I know that this thought is very selfish, but it has taken a toll on my life and health. To keep me sane I had to find a skill, and of course with all the time that passed I was able to perfect my skill. Each piece I made was unique and special in its own way. The people say that skill is what is needed to make life easier, to make the money come in. Skills are very useless in this world, after all it was almost impossible to make life easier since the nobles and aristocrats were the ones living a careless, lavish life without any worry of ever working a day in their life. They were babies with silver spoons in their mouth, I detest them.

The sun begins to rise as the time begins for me to head out. I dress myself up, putting on my foundation garments and on top, my daily garments. I grab the recent goods I made and look at the box. I opened it and inside was the ring. Strange energy could be felt as the box was opened, something told me to put on the ring and leave at once. I rushed out the door to the area where I agreed to sell my goods to.

I knew that it was still taboo for someone of the lower class to interact with a higher up, but it is no big deal for me. I sell and smuggle goods to the nobles and aristocrats, the profit was very favorable and would make me much more money than if I were to sell them to other peasants. The people say that I sold my soul for my skill and others say that I am a witch in disguise. None of that is true, the only reason why I was able to perfect my skill was with the motivation to be able to run away with my love...if he was to return.

Serfdom has been abolished for some time now, I cannot recall exactly the quantity, but I know it has been a long time since it has. I am no longer tied to the land I was born in, but am still tied to the lands with the promise of awaiting the return of my loved one. I see him in my dreams, his voice calls for me when I visit the forest and I can hear the lingering of faint whispers when I am alone. Words such as "don't leave" or "don't forget me" can be heard. His memory haunts me to the point where I wish to have never met him... I love him so much, but his memory is too painful to remember.

In the distance I saw the aristocrat who agreed to buy the goods from me. He began to approach me and I put my thoughts to the side. We negotiated and exchanged what needed to be exchanged. The trade went well... up until a woman who seemed wealthy enough to be noble or aristocrat screamed. She was screaming for men to assist her. I ran with the payment I received in hand as I did not want to get caught. With all the strength I had I did my best to run as fast as I could, but the men caught up to me. They grabbed me by my hands and led me to the center of my town. I tried with all my might to struggle and liberate myself, but it only ended up hurting more as the men did not budge.

As we reached the center and people were crowding around, the woman who screamed for men to assist her was there. She turned to me, pointed and screamed "She's a traitor! Not only did she smuggle goods to someone of a higher class, we all know this lady comes from pits of evil!!". I stared in horror as the people cheered in excitement, ready to witness another meaningless death full of blood. Humans are truly monsters...

However, I felt a tug from behind and I was let go by the two men who held me. I was dragged away, without the crowd noticing. I was escorted to a small house, it seemed odd because all that was inside was a table and two chairs. Something in my gut told me that something odd was going to happen. I sat in a chair as the men who escorted me inside exited this strange place.

A messenger walked in, handed me a letter that had a strange seal and left. The seal was unlike any other, an odd choice it was. I opened the envelope and read the contents. The part that stuck out the most was the last paragraph... Conditional eternal life was promised? Was this a sort of cruel joke? The letter also said that I would be set free without fear of being executed by the guillotine, but if I decline my filthy and unworthy blood is to be shed on the lands of France. I knew that I was going to accept the invitation to a so-called manor. As I walked out I noticed a carriage with the men who escorted me to this place.

They gave me a stern look and said "If you accept the invitation please come in at once". I stepped on and waited in the carriage for it to depart. His voice told me to leave... I knew I made the right choice, now with the promise of life I would be able to reunite with my love. A new life is waiting for me...