Chapter Fifteen: Sweet Love, Bad Luck

Nothing can steal the blithe and joy away from the sweet, grey house on the right lane of the road with the mansions on either side. On the outside no one can possibly guess whatever is going on inside. But once you go inside you can instantly see the love and rapture everyone is sharing. Me and Peter, Isabelle and Ben, Ben and Peter, me and Isabelle...

All different kinds of love, so beautiful and alluring.

The wedding is to be held in four months. It'll be small and celebrated in the backyard, large enough for fifty guests.

"Why don't we call Amy?" I suggest when we're all sitting in the lounge, late at night. "I'm sure she'll be good at planning."

"Who's Amy?" Isabelle asks curiously. Has she forgotten her own niece? Peter and I exchange a sheepish look.

"She was my best friend in high school." I answer. "And she's also your niece. Peter's cousin."

Isabelle is hit with realisation. "Oh! Amanda, of course!" Then she asks, "is she a planner or something?"

Peter nods as he answers. "Amy is a successful party planner. So I'm sure she can plan a wedding."

"A garden wedding." I add.

"Well, that'll be...that'll be nice." Isabelle says, struggling for the words.

"Is something the matter?" Seeing her reluctant reaction, Peter asks, worried.

This time, Ben answers. "Amanda is her niece from your father's side, Peter. Have you forgotten?"

Peter gasps, clapping his hand to his forehead. "Damn! I forgot! I'm such an idiot. I'm sorry, mom. MJ and I'll plan it with you and Ben."

"It's alright." His mother's face is still tight and pale. "And, yeah, I think I'll prefer us just planning instead of Amanda who I'm sure we'll invite to the wedding. She is your cousin after all, Peter, and still somewhat my niece."

"We really don't have to invite her if you don't want to, mom."

"No, I want to. I've always liked poor Amanda Faber." Isabelle sighs in a sympathetic manner. I look at her curiously.

"Poor Amanda? Why?" I ask.

Peter glances at me strangely. "Don't you know? Amy lost her parents three years ago in a train accident."

My eyes widen in shock. I've met her parents a couple of times when we were friends during our high school years, and I liked them a lot. It just never occurred to me that they're dead.

"Poor Amy." I whisper, my head bowing with feeling and emotion.

"Well, I'm glad she's doing well now." Isabelle says gently. "Her parents would be proud." Next to her on the couch, Ben is quiet as he holds her hand faithfully. His body is stiff and unmoving. His whole face has turned remarkably pale. Sweat is forming above his brows.

"Are you okay, Ben?" I question, slightly suspicious of his tense posture.

"Yeah." His voice is low and rough, and after a moment's hesitation he asks Peter, "this train accident your aunt and uncle died in...did it by any chance, happen on November fifteenth three years ago?"

Peter ponders for a full minute before nodding confidently and looking surprised. "Yeah, it did. How did you know?"

I roll my eyes half heartedly. "It was probably on the news, dummy." But I know for a fact that it wasn't on the news or the papers, and Isabelle confirms this.

"No," she says, "it wasn't."

I turn back to Ben whose hands, no longer linked with Isabelle's, are now clenched into fists.