1. Dig it up

One evening in 1934 a young man was clearing his late father's house

One evening in 1934 a young man was clearing his late father's house. When he found his old documents in the attic, he noticed a kind of diary in which his father wrote entries. He leafed through it curiously and was surprised at the insights he read as a result.

- ☆ -

May 1st, 1899 (9 PM)

Today was a long day. I set up my new camp near the Inn because I started my work in the mines. I earn more money here to support my family. Even if I have to be apart from them for a long time, I can at least give them a better life.

《 ☆ 》

May 10th, 1899 (7 AM)

The day starts early in the mines and the work is hard, but it pays off. There are rumors that there should be gold hidden in the mines that just needs to be excavated. But I don't really believe in it. I would rather earn my wages this way, because the rumors can also be false, which is what they usually are.

《 ☆ 》

May 28th, 1899 (5 PM)

It gradually warms up to be able to sit outside and enjoy a beer. There by the river is a good place to enjoy the sun and it is great to sit there after the hard work in the mines.

《 ☆ 》

May 30th, 1899 (7 PM)

Today I overheard two men near my tent in the evening talking again about gold in the mines. Rumors were already going around that it was supposed to be hidden there, but as mentioned before in my journal I hadn't given it too much thought until then. But the informations given in the conversation sparked my interest. Their plan was to go into the mines the next night and look for the gold there. Should I follow them?

《 ☆ 》

May 31st, 1899 (10 PM)

In a moment I'll follow the men into the mines. I've already packed my things so that I can also dig for myself if the men are gone and take my own gold with me. Maybe I'll get something off of it too.

《 ☆ 》

June 1st, 1899 (1 AM)

The rumors were really true, the mines contained gold! The men left a while ago and I used the moment to dig at the said spot myself. And there was a lot more gold there than the two men had unearthed! Of course I packed and took as much as I could. Now I don't have to work here in the mines and do this heavy lifting! So I can take on an easier work close to my family.

《 ☆ 》

June 14th, 1899 (2 PM)

I worked in the mine for a few more days so that it wouldn't be noticed that I had also found gold and no longer have to work here. After that, I went straight back to my family and brought them the good news. They were really excited! I never have to leave my family anymore.

- ☆ -

When the young man read through the entries, his findings were more plausible than before. Now he knew how his father had gotten so much money without having to do so much work.