Of Smoke and Cologne

There's just something about the way he speaks that makes your knees weak--something about the way he looks at you that makes goosebumps form down your arms and your breath hitch in your throat, like the moment before going downhill on a roller coaster.

He was an older man, a silver fox with slicked-back dark hair and greying sideburns that you knew grew back far too quickly for his liking (that's why he dyed it so often). Tall, with broad shoulders and a narrow waist, but still a bit on the husky side. He was charismatic and a bit eccentric. A genius engineer, but you knew he was a showman at heart.

To you, he was the definition of a silver fox.

To make things worse, he was your boss.

The owner of Freddy Fazbear's Pizza, William Afton. A single father with an older son, admittedly closer in age with you than he was. You enjoyed teasing him sometimes, the way he looked at you with sharp eyes full of annoyance and a hint of something else. If he were truly bothered by it, though, he would have fired you long ago.

It was a late night at Freddy's; a cold October night and you had, unfortunately, forgotten your coat at home. You dreaded the moment you had to leave the warmth of the pizzeria, but for now you kept yourself busy as you awaited the bus, wiping down one of the party tables with a cloth damp with cleaner.

You heard the sound of his leather loafers on the tile floor before you heard his voice. "Sweetheart," he never called any of your other coworkers by that pet name, although it was late and the two of you were the only two left in the building. "It's late. It's thirty minutes past your shift."

"I know," you said nonchalantly. "I'm still waiting for the bus, so... I thought I'd get a little extra cleaning done before I left."

"The night watch will be here soon. Perhaps I could give you a ride home, if you'd like. I'm on my way out, anyway."

You could feel the way your stomach erupted into fluttering butterflies, and the way your face heated up ever so slightly at his offer. "Oh, uhm... only if it's not a bother."

"Of course not." He flashed you a smile. "You can just set the cleaning supplies down for now. We'll get it in the morning."

You set the damp rag and the spray bottle you were using onto the table, wiping your hands off on the skirt of your uniform and chased after him. The keys jingled in his hand, locking the door as the two of you exited the building. The late night October air nipped at your warm skin, wrapping your arms around yourself and your body shuddered from the cold.

"Cold, love?"

"Yeah, a bit." You rubbed at your goose-bump-ridden arms. William shrugged off his overcoat and passed it towards you.

"Here, keep yourself warm."

"Won't you be cold?" You asked him, taking the coat with reluctance.

"I'll be fine. I wouldn't want my favorite employee to get cold."

Once again, you flushed lightly at his words, and he let out a low chuckle. His car was a newly painted purple Coupe DeVille with brown leather seats that smelled heavily of cigarette smoke and cologne--like him. The leather seat creaking and groaning under his weight as he sat next to you in the driver's side seat, and you folded your hands on your lap, twiddling your thumbs as you waited for him to start the car. "I, uh... live out on Austin, by the way. 243."

He didn't say anything. You weren't sure if he even heard you.

"Mr. Afton?"

"Oh--yes, I heard you, dear. 243 Austin, correct?"