Chapter XIII

I cry out as something sharp catches hold of my ankle, making me lose my balance and slipping into the mucky puddles around me. I hear someone laugh slightly.

"Thought you'd escape from me, eh?" a low but frightening voice whispers into my ear as I get yanked off of the ground.

I shiver.

"What did I do?" I ask, my eyes closed tightly so that I wouldn't see the attacker.

I earn another laugh, but it sounded a little off.

"A clever girl, I see," he says, a little suprised by my actions.

A shudder rushes down my spine.

"I was never clever," I state matter-of-factly. "My cousins always said that I was a scaredy cat."

It was a moment before the young man spoke again.

"If you were, then you wouldn't have your eyes shut like a trap," I hear his voice change from harsh to gental in only a second.

I shake my head.

"I will not open my eyes," I say under my breath.

I feel a soft, warm hand on the left side of my face.

"You are actually one of the bravest ones that I've ever seen," the boy says.

I suddenly give in to the temptation of his beautiful voice, and my eyes flutter open. They start to widen as I see his handsome face. I see him smile.

"Ah," he say to me. "I've never seen anyone with eyes as green as yours. They remind me of the old, ancient trees that live in the north."

I slightly blush, forgetting everything that had happened since the accident.

"Am I embarrassing you?" he chuckles.

I blush again.

"No. It's just that nobody ever said anything about my eyes," I whisper.

"Well, take it from me. I think your eyes are what makes you stand out from the other fishies in the sea. Never forget that, alright?"

I nod my head slowly.

"Alright. Come on now. It's going to be storming out here pretty soon, and I don't want you getting caught in the middle of it."

He lightly grabs my hand, pulling me with him. I follow him willingly.

"By the way, my name is Krysten."

I smile.

"Tabitha, but you can call me Tabby." my voice was starting to recover from earlier.

He laughs.

"Like a tabby cat, right?"

I nod my head.

It worked, Krysten thought to himself as he pulled the girl, careful not to be so rough. If that fool Damien Black had got to her first, then she would have known who I really was. Didn't want that to happen.

An hour had passed by the time Krysten and Tabitha saw sight of a jet. Krysten looks at the girl and smirks when he sees that she is staring at the jet in awe.