Chapter 16

In the past

You and Lio met again in the park multiple times in the night. Almost infinite times.

He would still climb on the tree just to watch you draw. He liked that place, and felt it was special.

You'd often smile when you noticed he was really intrigued in your art. Sometimes you'd even climb the tree just to make it easier for him to watch you drawing. And you were also nearer to him.

"Don't you feel sleepy though coming here?" he asked, worried.

You answered that you managed to sleep for a few hours during the afternoon, so it was fine. Besides, you felt more inspired during the night.

"By the way, what do you usually draw besides flames?" he asked, overlooking himself as a subject to draw.

"Landscapes, and recently I've been drawing boys" you said looking at him with a flirty look.

You left him speechless.

"I think I will draw you more in the future" you said with a smile "it's a promise"

"...I wanna mess her up" Lio thought.

And so the days passed. One night you started talking about yourselves as Burnish.

"Why don't you hate humans? Don't they know you're a Burnish?" he asked.

Luckily for you, you became a Burnish in a moment when you were alone, and nobody saw you. You already knew that Burnish people were considered a threat, so you kept your flames all for you. Still, it was a torture getting used to the voice in your head saying to burn, but you managed to tolerate them.

"No, nobody apart from you and me knows what I am" you said.

"You never used your flames to fight then?" Lio asked in disbelief. Most of the Burnish he knew used their flames to kill humans. Sure, he didn't use either his flames to kill humans, but he always listened to the voices in his head. Those terrible, noisy voices, belonging to fire, telling him to burn even more. He wanted to fulfill their wishes.

"Why should I?" you asked. "I would only use them to fight if I feel attacked"

"If they don't attack me, I won't attack them either" you added

And you created a small flame from your hand. You treated it as a pet, and caressed it. Lio surely would have never created a flame just to pet it.

There was a comfortable light in your eyes. Lio was at ease with you.

"Haha, that's incredible, it's almost like your flames are different than mine" he said.

...

"...what did you say again?" you asked.

"C'mon, you heard me" Lio replied.

"I just thought it was weird coming from you" you said "I thought you liked only meeting like this"

"Yeah, I like meeting you like this, but what blocks us from doing it?" he answered.

"So, do you want to do it too?" he then asked

"Do you want to meet in the morning?"

...

You both wanted to go to a picnic together. In the light, in the same park, under the tree you both used to climb.

Lio felt happy. You were probably his first friend after he became a Burnish. He started thinking again about how he met you. How he first was annoyed when you came in the park in the night. How he became curious when he discovered you used flames as a reference.

Lio had started to develop feelings for you. Surely for the moment being he wanted to be only your friend, but he had already imagined a life where you would be together, with a ring on your fingers.

And deeply, he knew that he would have become intrigued by you even if you weren't a Burnish.

He smiled thinking about you. It was the day you both settled for the picnic.

He waited for you under the tree.

However, you were a bit late.

He was getting kinda worried. What if something had happened to you?

He still waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Until it was night.

He was worried sick, but in his mind the possibility that you didn't want to meet him ever again started to plunge in his heart.

Heartbroken, he left the park the day after that.

Rage was growing in his heart.