Underneath the Starry Sky

Set during S5: E14, 'My Bloody Valentine', when Sam is in the panic room detoxing from demon blood. Castiel makes efforts to reassure Dean, until Dean says, 'I just need to get some air.' Dean heads out to the impala, expecting to be alone until Castiel follows him out.

-

Dean leaned against the nearest wall, hoping it would help support the weight of his guilt-ridden shoulders. The agonizing screams that escaped from the panic room echoed throughout the dreary bunker. Castiel stood across from Dean and watched him steadily lift his beer bottle to his lips. Castiel could sense Dean's anguish as he watched the broken man suffer in silence, eyes closed with every passing wail.

"That's not him in there," Castiel's gruff but gentle voice broke through Sam's cries for help, "not really." There was mild hesitation in the angel's words, as he watched Dean's expression change. Despite Dean knowing it was just the effects of the demon blood, his soul could still feel the weight of Sam's misery with every scream. Terror thundered down on him, dread gnawing at his insides.

"I know," the words hurt, and he wanted to believe then with all his heart but, it still ached to say them.

"Dean," the air was heavy between his words, "Sam just has to get it out of his system. Then he'll be - -"

"Listen, I just," there was a quiet string of contemplation before Dean spoke again, "I just need to get some air." Castiel's eyes followed Dean as he swiftly turned his head and walked away, leaving Castiel alone with Sam's burdensome cries. He desperately wanted to help Dean, to help carry the weight he refused to share. For some time, the angel was lost in thought until his feet began to move forward.

-

Dean's shoulders hung heavy, letting his arms dangle by his sides as he trudged towards Baby. He lifted his beer bottle, draping it over his lips and letting what was left of the alcohol drain into his body. Recent events had left a deep imprint on the older Winchester's face, requiring every fiber of his being to hold down the gut-wrenching sobs that stung the bottom of his throat. He felt as though he couldn't breathe, a noose of regret and panic locked tightly around his neck. Dean lifted his puffy eyes towards the sky, hoping the upcoming onslaught of tears would recede. Incoherent pleading escaped his throat, littered with tiny cracks and a slight rasp. He took a sharp gasp of air as he heard footsteps carving into the gravel behind him.

"Dean," a low voice spoke. The older Winchester almost collapsed at the familiar voice, turning around to meet Castiel's worried features. "Are you alright?" Dean paused for a moment, trying to get a handle on his emotions so as to not look weak. The still-beating that was heart caught in his throat, which that he struggled to swallow, threatened otherwise. Dean coughed under his breath, attempting to clear his throat and the last of the fuzziness from his eyes.

"Yeah, I- uh... I'm fine," was all he could say before the floodgates in his eyes burst open. Castiel's eyes widened, taking notice of the singular tears that began to trickle down Dean's face. Dean looked towards the angel in confusion at his change in facial expression, until he lifted a hand up to his cheek, feeling a strange wetness that he hadn't previously noticed. "I- I'm alright," refusing to admit how defeated he feels. His shoulders rolled over as he tried to quickly wipe his eyes with his hands. Dean backed up, moving away from Castiel until his back was pressed against Baby.

"Dean," the angel slowly stepped forward until he heard Dean let out a harsh sob, causing his heart to jump. Dean had been caught off guard, letting his act fall down, bringing light to his fractured heart. With another step, Castiel took Dean's head into his hands, bringing it to his chest. Dean had lost control as the angel's hands brushed against his face, resting his head on Castiel's shoulder. He reached his arms around Castiel's body, allowing his weight to fall snugly into the angel's arms. Muffled cries filled their ears as Dean clutched Castiel's trench coat. The angel sighed in contentment as he lifted his hand to softly brush Dean's hair. The sobs steadily quieted down, and Dean's bones were soon soft as jelly, melting into the angel before him. "You're okay now. I'm here," Dean whimpered into his chest as the words reached his ears, "I always will be."

"Cas-" Dean was broken off as Castiel gently lifted him onto the hood of Baby. Dean looked up at the angel before letting his gaze drop to his hands, resting shakily in his lap. Castiel moved closer to Dean, their legs brushing together before letting his hand reach out and lift Dean's face up to meet his. Castiel gave Dean a soft, gentle smile before placing a brief but tender kiss on his forehead. He soon pulled back, locking eyes with Dean as the flutter in his chest intensified. Dean felt warmth wash over his tear-stained face. Castiel released his hand from Dean's chin and began to back up until he was passionately pulled forward. Dean had gripped the collar of the angel's trench coat, smashing their lips together. After the initial shock had worn off, Castiel closed his eyes and began to mold into Dean's soft lips. Everything about Dean addictively invaded the angel's senses as he brought both hands up to hold the Winchester's face, bringing it closer to his own. The raw, untethered emotion they shared seemed to stop time as they claimed each other's mouths. For the first time, neither man felt shy. They only felt the indubitable warmth they both felt against the other's body.

They pulled apart, with swollen lips and heavy breaths. Castiel draped himself around Dean's frame, closing his arms around his back. Dean's body fluttered; the feeling of the angel's arms wrapped around him felt almost forbidden. There they stayed, propped against one another underneath the starry sky. No one else existed at that moment, just an angel and his love.

-

[The End.]

-

Cover Art by seasaltpepper on deviantart