twenty three - honesty hour

"Harry, can you stop running around like a lunatic? You're giving me fucking headache."

"They're going to be here in ten minutes, Louis, so no, I can't sit down . . ."

A visit from Liam and Niall had sent Harry into a complete tailspin. He hadn't stopped rushing around the apartment since they woke up hours before, cleaning rooms that were already clean and cooking enough food that Louis doubted even Niall would be able to eat it all (and that was saying something). He was currently scrubbing down the counters for the third time, and Louis's head was absolutely going to explode.

Harry decided earlier that week that he needed to tell Liam and Niall about the real details of his psychicness, and Louis agreed wholeheartedly. He wanted Harry to feel safe with his friends; he wanted Harry to feel like Liam and Niall were his friends, not just proxy friends through Louis. More than anything, he wanted Harry to feel supported -- to feel safe with people other than him. Selfishly, maybe, he wanted to keep Harry to himself all the time; logically, he knew that Harry needed a social circle that expanded outside of this apartment.

Since their "first" date, they had been even more inseparable. Louis dragged his feet every time he left for work, and despite his excitement about his new job, Harry was clearly dreading his first day -- because it meant leaving the safe cocoon they had created for themselves.

"Does Liam drink alcohol? Will he want to drink alcohol at four in the afternoon? Is it four that you're supposed to drink alcohol, or is it five? I can never remember which one -- isn't there a song, Louis, that's supposed to help you remember what time --"

Louis stopped rubbing his temples for a moment. His voice had a slight edge to it when he called out, "Harry, sit down."

Harry froze with a sheepish expression on his face. When Louis patted the seat beside him, he immediately trotted into the living room, curling up beside the older boy on the couch, tucking himself under Louis's arm.

Louis pressed his lips to the top of his head. "It's going to be fine. You're going to be fine."

He pouted, resting his cheek on Louis's shoulder. "How are you always so sure?"

"They're going to accept you. All of you," he promised, squeezing Harry's hands reassuringly. "Liam might be a bit skeptical at first, but they're both going to think you're so cool."

Harry raised his eyebrows, clearly skeptical. "I don't think 'cool' is the right word."

"That's definitely the word that Niall's going to use, so get used to it." Louis traced the familiar spaces between Harry's fingers, hoping the touch would help settle his nerves -- and enjoying the soft warmth of Harry's skin against his own.

"Liam's going to hate me even more."

"He doesn't hate you!" Louis protested quickly, furrowing his brow at the mere suggestion. Sure, Liam had reservations about Harry to begin with, but ever since the incident at his building, any negative comments about Harry abruptly stopped. "He just doesn't understand you, love. That's why we're having this talk, right?"

"I guess so."

"It's like coming out all over again. Been there, done that."

Harry scrunched his nose. "I never came out. To anyone."

Louis couldn't hold back the laugh that escaped him. "Well, maybe this is your opportunity to come out, too. Because I hate to break it to you, darling, but you're at least some level of gay."

"Do you really think so?"

With a hand on the back of his neck, he leaned in and kissed Harry softly, barely able to keep his growing smile in check. "Yeah, darling," he spoke against Harry's lips, "you might be just a little bit gay."